2008 Superbike World Championship season
The Superbike World Championship 2008 was the 21st in the history of the FIM Superbike World Championship. In 14 Events 28 races were held.
World Champion will be the one driver or the designer, which until the end of season the most points accumulated in the World Cup. The distribution of points, the placings in the overall results of each race are taken into account. The fifteen first-placed rider in each race will receive points according to the following scheme:
In the evaluation all obtained results came.
Find out more
- All pilots were on Pirelli control tires.
- For the 2008 season there was a change in the technical regulations, now for two-cylinder engines have a displacement of up to 1200 cc, instead of 1000 cm ³ allowed.
- The Italian manufacturer Ducati introduced with the all-new Ducati 1098 R is the only 1200 cc two -cylinder motorcycle at the start and upgraded six drivers from.
- The world champion of the 2007 season, the Briton James Toseland, did not defend his title, he wandered off into the MotoGP class of the Motorcycle World Championship.
- The most interesting new entries among the pilots were the Turkish Supersport champion of the 2007 season, Kenan Sofuoglu, the Japanese Ryuichi Kiyonari, who was able to secure the title in the British Superbike Championship in 2006 and 2007 and the two connecting passengers from the MotoGP class, Carlos Checa and Makoto Tamada.
- After ten years as title sponsor of the Mexican brewery Corona got the 2008 season off from the World Superbike Championship, the new main backers of the series was the Taiwanese screen manufacturer Hannspree.