Artern / Unstrut is a town in Thuringia Kyffhauserkreis. Located on the Unstrut city is located in the extreme north- east of the country on the border with Saxony- Anhalt. From Artern originate Goethe's paternal ancestors.
- 2.1 Population development
- 3.1 City Council
- 3.2 Town twinning
- 3.3 Coat of Arms
- 4.1 Structures
- 4.2 parks
- 4.3 Leisure
- 4.4 events
- 5.1 traffic 5.1.1 Road Traffic
- 5.1.2 Rail transport
- 6.1 freeman
- 6.2 Sons and daughters of the town
- 6.3 Other persons who are connected with Artern
Artern lies on an arc of Unstrut, which flows through the city from southwest to southeast. Below Artern opens the helmets in the Unstrut. Due to the location of these rivers, the area around Artern is very flat and very fertile. Surrounded is the basin between Golden and Adamantine floodplain of mountains, namely the resin in the north, the Kyffhaeuser in the west, High -cricket in the south and another mountain range to the east. This caused Artern one of the warmest and driest areas in Thuringia. The annual rainfall is only 457 mm; the average temperature was 8.5 ° C.
In founded by Johann Gottfried Borlach Saline Artern is indeed not won a salt, but the brine source ( salinity 2.25% ) fed today the brine pool and the Solgraben. The Solgraben is a small nature reserve in which the salty water a plant world has arisen, which is more like a coastal flora.
The old town of Artern is on the north side of the Unstrut. It consists of two population centers: the city Artern the west and the village Artern in the east. Both were united until 1832. From the 19th century the city then grew mainly eastward to the station where the main industrial area was created. Later, she also extended to the north along the road to Sangerhausen where a second industrial zone was built around the Westbahnhof.
In addition to the core city Artern has two districts: Schönfeld ( incorporated on 17 November 1995 ) in the west and Kachstedt in the northwest.
At the beginning of the 9th century Artern was built in a directory of the Patrimony of the Archbishop Lull († 786) of Mainz Hersfeld Monastery mentioned as Aratora documented. The Wasserburg Artern was built probably as early as the 10th century. Its purpose was to secure the Unstrut transfer to Thuringian gate and towards decorations and Sangerhausen. 1252 Ulrich von Artern was called, was securely connected to the water castle. 1346 were the archbishops of Magdeburg lords. In the 16th century the castle was built around a castle. This building was largely demolished in the 18th century. Now is there a bank.
Development of the population ( as of 1960 as of December 31 ):
- 2000: 6848
- 2002: 6580
- 2003: 6424
- 2004: 6344
- 2005: 6201
- 2006: 6165
- 2007: 5970
- 2008: 5867
- 2009: 5824
- 2010: 5715
The City Council of Artern was elected in the municipal elections in Thuringia in 2009. This gave the following breakdown of votes was:
Mayor is Wolfgang Koenen (The Left ).
The city has three sister cities:
- Einbeck in Lower Saxony ( since 2 July 1990)
- Topoľčany in Slovakia (since 1982, renewed on October 2, 1992)
- Mazingarbe in France ( since 11 May 1996)
Coat of arms
Blazon: " Azure, two vertical, outwardly curved silver Radfelgenstücke. "
The coat of arms of Artern was adopted on the basis of historically occupied circumstances. At the same time so that the previously existing uncertainty about the true coat of arms and its validity has been eliminated. In the given figure, the coat of arms was in a square carved limestone found at Old Town, which was in 1906 replaced by a new building. In 1850 the stone was, until then covered with plaster, have been uncovered. It is the coat of arms of Ministerialengeschlechtes of Hake, the Artern and environment had fief. The initially guided dispute over whether it shows Rainbow, crescents or wheel rims has been decided in favor of the latter, for wheel rims fit meaningful to the lying on the edge of the Golden Meadows city as a settlement very early in the 8th century, in the Hersfeld tithe directory is named as Aratora; the place name could be from the Middle High German word art = agriculture are derived.
Culture and sights
As one of the oldest remaining medieval buildings in the city, the St. Vitus Church presents to the north of the old town Arterner. The building in its present appearance dates from the middle of the 13th century and thus falls in the late Romanesque and early Gothic architecture. It is worth visiting the church tower, which is located above the crossing of the aisles and the cross-shaped ground plan of the church. Until the time of the Reformation, the church was used Veit sacred by the inhabitants.
Since about the mid-16th century the church was empty and was taken only sporadically for worship services. Then, the building fell into disrepair in the years rapidly. In the 18th and 19th centuries it was used among other things as a barn, equipment shelter and even a prison. Around 1895, a gymnasium was inside the church, since the mid- 1930s, a local history museum. As of 1990, the St. Vitus church was restored as a landmark of the city Artern extensive and took its present form. During the construction work inside the church ruins were three predecessors to the fore, which have also been documented archaeologically. The restoration of the church was completed in August 1999. The building is now used for exhibitions, concerts and civil marriages.
The St. Mary's Church was built in the 12th century. The church was dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The material sandstone, limestone, conglomerate and gypsum were used. After 1150 the tower was built, in 1225 the later chancel, now winter church. With the Reformation 1540, the Marienkirche church of the Evangelical congregation was Artern. 1607/ 08 the west aisle was demolished after a fire. In 1615 began the reconstruction of the nave. On May 25, 1620 Ascension, the inauguration of the new nave was held. 1654 began re- construction work, and two years later the first galleries were installed. On June 8, 1669 finial was placed and a year later completed the roof. End of November 1685 at St. Andrew's day, the church was consecrated again. During the next 150 years a tower room was built in the half-timbered style of the tower bells.
1837 old galleries were expanded and built new double galleries in addition. A total restoration lasted until 1859. 1860 the fresco of the Transfiguration Sörensen from Merseburg was placed inside the church. Ten years later, the organ of Strobel from Bad Frankenhausen was installed. After the Second World War some bells had to be issued, in 1955, the inauguration of a new bell was solemnized. In 1964, the winter church was consecrated. In 1994, the church received a new roof covering.
The nature and herb garden at the former West station was opened in May 2001. At the center is the herbalist "Artemis" in which some medicinal plants were planted according to their applications to the respective part of the body. About nature walks can be the German garden, monastery garden, dye garden, the herb spiral and orchard, wild flower meadow, the kingdom of Artemisia, visit the garden of the specificities and the Feng Shui garden.
- The neo-baroque town hall was built in 1906 as a free standing stucco building to three storeys. The tower is set in the center, the facade design has asymmetrical. In the ballroom, a painting by Otto Engelhard Kyffhaeuser from 1929 is issued, it shows a historical view of the place.
- Upper yard, a half-timbered house dating from the 17th century in the old manor with an exhibition on the history of Kyffhaeuser hut
- Jüngkens lookout tower (also called " Rapunzel tower " ), built in 1863 on the 190 -meter-high vineyard
- Goethe ancestral house, the former blacksmith is the headquarters of the Goethe family. A plaque above the front door is reminiscent of Goethe's great-grandfather, Hans Christian Goethe.
The Saline Park on the Unstrut is under 6.5 hectares and is home to mostly native species such as maple, beech, chestnut, linden, willow, and also two rare Urweltmammutbäume; Ailanthus, trumpet trees and Chinese Redwood. 1865 began the beautification club with the creation of the park. Even the Saline directors Wapler, Schröcker and fishermen have been involved for the park. Saline Director Oberbergrat Constantin Wonnerberg made in the 20th century salt works, Tennis Park, inhalatorium, brine pump room and the children's sanatorium " Cecilia Home " build, but which is only partially available. The park is also home to an outdoor stage, take place on the regular events as well as film screenings.
The park cemetery is located northwest of the old town on the Sangerhäuser road, along a main road No. 86 He is a botanical landmark: At approximately 1.63 acres, located along the Sole one of the smallest nature reserves in Germany with some very rare plants that only on salty soils grow ( halophytes ).
The Prussian king Friedrich Wilhelm III. gave in 1828 the site of the city for the establishment of a cemetery that was like a park and inaugurated in 1833. In addition to old tombs are still remnants of the old Salztalmauer to see. The park invites visitors to stroll and linger in the brine.
The Sole source that was used commercially until 1964, now feeds the Solgraben and the salt water pool and is located in Park Cemetery. The brine comes from a 300 m deep saline storage and has a year-round temperature of 11.5 ° C. One liter of water contains 22-25 grams of salt and potash and magnesium salts. The salt annual mining capacity of 22,400 m³. The Solgraben is the smallest nature reserve in Europe of its kind ( size approx 1.63 ha ) and the most important inland salt place in Central Europe. It provides a small space a rare fauna and flora. Plants such as samphire, salt vermouth, salt Aster, Atriplex, salt rush and subterranean clover as well as animals such as typical salt beetles, bugs and salt salt flies are to be found here. As the only fish of the three -pronged stickleback still lives in Solgraben.
The salt water pool in Saline Park was 1994/95 renovated and received while a new pool complex, a 50 -meter slide, lazy river, and splash pool and an outdoor area with volleyball courts, streetball court, adventure playground and gastronomic supply. The salinity of the water is 3.25 %.
The bowling and bowling alleys Salinenpark be used in Saline Park since the 1970s. After several renovation and expansion work of the bowling club cemented with different teams in his sporting position Kyffhauserkreis and his cars in Recreational city. Apart from the club sports facility can also be used for corporate and private parties.
The gallery was founded in 1990 Aratora presented in its three showrooms contemporary visual and applied arts ( primarily by artists from the new federal states ). Are held each year in their four special temporary exhibition activity. In addition, amenities discussions with artists, writers, readings, lectures and cabaret events for selection in the gallery.
Unstrut lock Artern largest Unstrut lock: 50 m long, 5.50 m wide, 1.90 m drop height. In the years 1791-1795, the expansion of Unstrut was as a waterway. Twelve gates were built to the Unstrut. Currently, seven locks are taken, they are available for recreational paddlers and motor boats in the season from April to October.
Economy and infrastructure
After the closure of the two largest companies in the city ( Kyffhaeuser hut and sugar factory ), the typical economic structure of many small towns developed in the East with more small and craft enterprises and some trading companies. Because despite the brine source in place of tourism and Bäderbetrieb does not matter the number of unemployed is much higher than the national average. With the creation of two large industrial parks in the industrial wastelands of the former large farms better conditions for industrial development were created.
Artern is situated on the national highway 86, which runs through the town in the western city. The Federal Highway 38 runs about twelve kilometers north and connects the metropolitan area of Kassel / Göttingen in the west to the region of Leipzig / Halle ( Saale) in the east.
By in large part already completed federal motorway 71 Artern is directly connected to the motorway network. The construction of this to Schweinfurt ranging from Sangerhausen motorway end of 2006 began in Arterner room. In nearby Oberröblingen the two highways on the on April 29, 2013 released Autobahndreieck Suedharz are linked.
In the eastern part of the city, the train station is on the railway line Sangerhausen Erfurt, which is traversed by regional rail and regional express trains to Erfurt Hbf and Magdeburg Hbf. The branch lines to Sondershausen and Naumburg were set the timetable change on 10 December 2006. On the railway line Berga - Kelbra Artern already since 1966 is no more traffic.
- Hans Heinrich Buchner (1864-1959), City Council President
Sons and daughters of the town
- John Lonicer (around 1497-1569 ), theologian and friend of Martin Luther
- Johann Christoph Kunze (1744-1807), pietist and evangelical missionary
- Johann Gottfried Kessler (1754-1830) was a German mountain and building officer.
- August Alexander Chamberlain (1789-1858), geologist and chemist
- Richard Henrion (1854-1940), composer and military bandmaster
- Fritz Herbert (1860-1925), SPD member of the Reichstag, consumer cooperative members and Supervisory Board the Wholesale Society German Consumvereine m. b. H., trade unionists
- Richard tempest (1869-1959), formerly organizer of the nudist movement
- Marie Charlotte Siedentopf (1879-1968), children's author
- Otto Engelhardt Kyffhaeuser (1884-1965), painter
- Hans Welzel (1904-1977), legal scholar
- Günther Panzram (* 1923), internist and diabetologist at the Medical Academy Erfurt
- Otto Nitze (1924-1988), composer and conductor, son of Otto Nitze sen., Head of the music school Artern
- Karl Oettle (1924-2009), economist
- Johanna Schaller, later Johanna Klier ( born 1952 ), former German track and field athlete and Olympic champion
Other people associated with Artern
- Alexander Haubold Marshal of Bieberstein (1635-1694), owner of manor ( Unterhof )
- Johann Gottfried Borlach (1687-1768), mining engineer, founder of Saline Artern
- Georg Philipp Friedrich von Hardenberg (1772-1801), poet and philosopher of early German Romanticism, his father managed the Saline Artern