The district lies in the western Lower Saxony Oldenburg. It is bordered by the cities of Oldenburg and Delmenhorst and to the counties Ammer country, Cloppenburg, Diepholz, Vechta and Weser march. County town since 1988 Wildeshausen.
- 3.1 District
- 3.2 Kreistag
- 3.3 institutions
- 4.1 Economics
- 4.2 traffic 4.2.1 Rail
- 4.2.2 Road Traffic
- 5.1 Jewish Cemeteries
The district extends south of Oldenburg Oldenburg and has approximately circular shape in the amount of approximately 35x40 km. The largest part of the district lies in the natural unit of the third order with the name EMS Hunte Geest. He has interests in the nature of confinement fourth order named Oldenburg Geest, Hunte- Leda - Moorniederung, Weser Marsch, Thedinghäuser Vorgeest and Syker, Delmenhorster and Cloppenburg Geest. It thus represents a broad cross-section of typical north-west German march, moor, Altmoränen and floodplains Atlantic to the sub-Atlantic climate.
Through the county's Hunte runs as a major tributary of the Weser. The relief of the landscape is flat to flat with wavy terrain heights 2-55 m above sea level. Larger areas are part of the natural park Geest. It is worth noting, inter alia, the nature reserve Ahlhorner fish ponds on the border district of Cloppenburg: The biggest carp lake complex in western Lower Saxony could be due to its embedding in a natural environment and the only extensive farming in the 20th century a valuable habitat for amphibians, waterfowl, and rare, dwarf bottom of the pond plants.
In the district of Oldenburg, there are 18 nature reserves. The largest ( Hasbruch ) has an area of 630 hectares, the smallest ( Hatter wood ) has an area of 5.3 ha
4000 years ago, today's administrative district of Oldenburg was settled. At that time there graves were created, of which about 20 are still preserved. About 700 years BC created extensive cemeteries.
At the time of the Roman Empire populated Chauken ( in the north) and Angrivarii ( in the middle Huntetal ) the area of the district. At the end of the migration period could be on both sides of the Hunte down the Saxons. The present district area extended mostly over the densely populated, limited by Hunte and Weser Largau in the Duchy Engern and the west of the Hunte located Westphalian Lerigau.
The northern part of the present county in which the churches today Ganderkesee, Dotlingen, Hatten, Wardenburg and Hude lie belonged from the beginning to the root area of the Counts of Oldenburg and Oldenburg remained until 1946. Wildeshausen however, was first ruled by a branch line of the House of Oldenburg, Oldenburg- line Wildeshausen. After they died Wildeshausen came to the archbishopric of Bremen, after the city became the possession of the bishops of Munster. By the Peace of Westphalia in 1648 the town became Swedish.
1700 pledged the Swedish King Charles XII. the Office Wildeshausen to the electorate of Hanover. 1803 were city and department Wildeshausen again Oldenburg.
Since the 19th century existed on the territory of today's district the three Oldenburg Oldenburg offices, Delmenhorst and Wildeshausen. The city of Oldenburg was amt -free since 1855. The city Delmenhorst different in 1903 from out of office Delmenhorst and was also official free. Between 1922 and 1933 the three municipalities Osternburg, Eversten and Ohmstede were incorporated from office in the city of Oldenburg Oldenburg. 1933 was formed from office Wildeshausen, the largest part of the Office of Delmenhorst and the communities Hatten and Wardenburg the old Office Oldenburg Oldenburg, a new office. The western part of the Office of Oldenburg with the communities Rastede and Wiefelstede came to his new position Ammer country. 1939 from the new office Oldenburg, the district of Oldenburg.
With the merger of the countries Hanover, Brunswick, Schaumburg -Lippe and Oldenburg Lower Saxony, the district of Oldenburg, Lower Saxony to a district and a section of the Lower Saxon County of Oldenburg, who came up in 1978 in the district of Weser - Ems. This was again dissolved as all administrative districts in Lower Saxony, in 2005.
As part of the municipal reforms of the 1970s, the district of Oldenburg joined the church in 1974 at the Stuhr Diepholz and the community Hasbergen to the city from Delmenhorst, but won the Municipality Harpstedt from the dissolved district county Hoya added.
The administration of the district of Oldenburg was initially located in Oldenburg. In 1988, she moved to Wildeshausen. On 1 July 1993, the name of the district of Oldenburg ( Oldenburg) changed in the district of Oldenburg.
As part of the local election in 2001 the district was elected on 9 September 2001:
As part of the local elections of 2006, the District was elected on 10 September 2006:
- Oldenburgische landscape, registered corporation under public law for the care and promotion of cultural concerns.
Economy and Transport
The company Exxon Mobil operates one of the world's biggest natural gas processing plant in the town of Great kneading. In addition, in the municipality Dötlingen large quantities of natural gas stored in underground storage (pore space).
The group Stoever Agarfrost in Aldrup ( Wildeshausen ) fabricated potato products of different varieties ( French fries, potato pancakes, potato chips, etc.) and customers including the restaurant chain McDonald's.
The Atlas Terex (formerly Atlas Weyhausen ) in Ganderkesee is one of the largest excavator manufacturer in Germany.
In the district of Oldenburg, rail transport began with the route Bremen -Oldenburg - Delmenhorst the Oldenburg State Railway in 1867, which was two years later continued at the idle. A branch line branches off since 1873 in Hude to Brake from.
Also in 1867, the combination of Oldenburg was to Wilhelmshaven by the Prussian State Railways.
Recovery of the Oldenburg State railway was opened in 1875, the main route from Oldenburg to Cloppenburg -Osnabrück; of their chain in Ahlhorn 1885, the connection to Vechta from. The branch line Oldenburg -Brake was taken in 1896 in operation.
From 1898 Delmenhorst a line over Vechta to Osnabrück was performed and 1922 under the direction of the Deutsche Reichsbahn a spur track to Lemwerder.
1912, the narrow-gauge railway was opened Delmenhorst - Harpstedt ( Delmenhorst Harpstedter Eisenbahn GmbH / DHE ).
The network included until 1952 148 km in length. Of the public passenger transport was set to 36 km:
On the lines of Delmenhorst to Lemwerder or Harpstedt the Delmenhorst Harpstedter Eisenbahn GmbH operates a museum railway.
The county is served by three motorways, the A1 in the southeast (municipalities Harpstedt and Dötlingen, City Wildeshausen ), the A28 to the north (municipalities Hude, Hatten and Ganderkesee ) and the A29 to the west (municipalities Großenkneten, Hatten and Wardenburg). All three highways are interconnected ( A1/29 on Ahlhorner triangle. A28/A29 at Oldenburg east cross and A1/A28 at Delmenhorster triangle ) so that they form a complete ring around the Oldenburg district around.
Other major roads are the main roads B212, which runs from the north-east of the district of Oldenburg in the Weser march, and the B213 which runs from the south of the county in the district of Cloppenburg.
From only historical importance the federal highways 69 and 75, after the construction of the motorways A29 ( B69 ) and 28 ( B75 ) are have been downgraded to state roads. The same happened to the B213 in their former further course of Wildeshausen to Delmenhorst, which has been replaced by the A1 as a trunk road.
Culture and sights
In City and County of Oldenburg, there are three Jewish cemeteries in Harpstedt, Oldenburg and Wildeshausen. There are worth protecting cultural monuments - stone witnesses for previously existing Jewish communities and a lively Jewish community life until the 1930s. The cemeteries are usually locate bad, especially since they mainly located on the outskirts of towns.
Cities and Towns
In brackets the number of inhabitants on 31 December 2012.
Samtgemeinde with its member communities
* Head Samtgemeinde management
- Samtgemeinde Harpstedt ( 10,893 )