The Uelzen district is a district in the northeast of Lower Saxony. It is bordered to the west by the districts of Celle and Heide Circle, on the north by the district of Lüneburg, in the east on the Lüchow- Dannenberg, in the southeast on the Altmark Salzwedel and on the south by the county Gifhorn.
- 3.1 Kreistag
- 6.1 Former district administrators of the district of Uelzen, 1885
- 6.2 Oberkreisdirektor Directors since 1945
Economy and infrastructure
The district of Uelzen is one of the agriculturally most intensively farmed counties of Lower Saxony. Benefiting this structure is loamy soils with high scoring was on the Sohllagen of Uelzener - Bevenser basin. At the same time yield weaker sites on moraine or drift sand to a particularly high extent be artificially irrigated. In addition to cereals and sugar beet primarily potatoes are grown. Local fruit production is also operated on a larger scale. Of national importance are the sugar factory in the northern sugar AG - the largest and most modern in Germany - as well as the United Saatzucht Ebstorf (VSE ), come from the few known varieties of potato. In addition, there is the dairy Uelzena well as a subsidiary of Nestle Scholler. Larger industrial enterprises are hardly available.
The district runs through from north to south, the major national highway 4 ( " Harz-Heide - road "), which is passed by since the end of 2002 completely at the county town and still passes through some small towns in the north county. It run controversial plans to extend the federal highway 39 from Wolfsburg to to Lüneburg to be east nearly parallel to the main road and connected in the amount Uelzen with another national road to the is also planned extension of the federal highway 14 Magdeburg -Schwerin. The first phase is to connect from 2020 Uelzen with Lüneburg, and thus the federal highway 39 in Hamburg. From West ( Soltau ) to east and also by the city of Uelzen the federal road runs 71
The town of Uelzen is a historic junction of the main line between Hamburg, Hanover and known as America Line route Bremen -Stendal - Berlin, a connection branches from the in Wieren to Brunswick. The railway line Uelzen -Dannenberg (West) is shut down.
On the route Hamburg -Hannover are the access points Bienenbuttel, Bad Bevensen, Uelzen and Suderburg, at the America Line Ebstorf, Uelzen, Stederdorf, Wieren and Soltendieck, on the train to Brunswick train station bathroom floor pond.
The regional traffic on the routes Uelzen -Hamburg and Hamburg -Bremen has, since December 2003 by the metronom Railroad Company, the addition of Göttingen drives over Hanover in December 2005 to Uelzen. Since the former depots have been resolved in the area of the station and sell the land, including buildings, created a new operating framework for the transport company in the north of the city of Uelzen.
The largest river of the circle, the Ilmenau, although here is not navigable, the Elbe Lateral Canal, however, connects the major shipping routes Elbe in the north and the Mittelland Canal in the south. The town of Uelzen has a harbor with siding.
Cities and Towns
( Population figures from December 31, 2012)
Joint communities with their member communities
* Head Samtgemeinde management
- 2 Samtgemeinde Bevensen - Ebstorf ( 26.412 )
- 3 Samtgemeinde Rosche ( 6885 )
- 4 Samtgemeinde Suderburg ( 6896 )
The district council is composed as follows:
Last local elections on 11 September 2011
The county is part of the climate subatlantisch marked physiographic main unit Lüneburg Heath in the northwest German lowlands. The central landscape area is the saaleeiszeitliche " Uelzener - Bevenser pool ", which is surrounded by various moraine ridge. In the East, for example, is the " Osthannoversche terminal moraine " ( Goehrde - Drawehn - ridge ), to the west runs the Endmoränenstaffel the "Hohe Heide 'which extends to the Harburg low mountain south of Hamburg.
Lüneburgischer Regional Association
For the maintenance of cultural institutions of Lüneburgische Regional Association was founded as a registered association.
The face of the county is determined by the framed by wooded ridges Uelzener pool. From south to north the Ilmenautal runs through the district area. The natural environments favorable conditions and fertile soil, has offered the earliest times good conditions for human settlement.
This is reflected in the more than 6,000 localized sites. Thus, the district one of the fund 's richest regions of Lower Saxony dar. From 1984-1986 inventoried a working group of the Institute of Cultural Heritage in the terrain more than 4,600 above ground visible archaeological objects: megalithic tombs, grave mound, stone boxes, militia and castles but also Altäcker ways and tracks. Could not be verified the numerous urn cemeteries and settlement sites of different time steps. Because of their condition and its historical meaning almost 2,700 objects have been added to the list of cultural monuments.
The extraordinary wealth Fund has early attracted the attention of archaeologists. These are the mappings of the terrain monuments in the area by the Chamberlain Georg Otto Carl von Estorff in the first half of the 19th century and the excavations of Gustav Schwantes just before the turn of the century. Schwantes merit is to create an outline of the pre-Roman Iron Age, the steps of which he named after the localities in the district. The cemetery was even Jastorf eponymous for the Jastorf Culture, a culture of older pre-Roman Iron Age in eastern Lower Saxony, in Holstein and Mecklenburg.
The oldest finds in the district date from the Palaeolithic and Mesolithic (ca. 600000-4500 BC). In the Museum Schloss Holdenstedt the so-called shield core of Medingen can be visited, a tool that was made between the last and penultimate glacial period and is therefore 80,000 or even 100,000 years old. A similarly high age has probably the also issued in Holdenstedt hand ax of Lehmke.
Among the visible monuments in the city and county area, the tombs have the largest share, they are also the most visible legacies of prehistoric people. Grave mounds and megalithic tombs once characterized the landscape. Carl Estorff published in 1846 the impressive number of 6,000 grave hills, of which 2,609 are still preserved. Far greater are the losses of megalithic tombs. Of the 29 recorded by Estorff 219 were in 1986 still preserved in good condition them were only 12, including:
- Barrow at Kahlstorf
- Royal Tombs at Haaßel
- Sacrificial stone of Melzingen
- Stone box in Uelzen City Forest
Restored grave hills are:
- Burial ground in the Addenstorfer Heide ( Bad Bevensen )
- At the city's port in Uelzen
Former district administrators of the district of Uelzen, 1885
- Konrad von Massow, 1885
- Walter of Tzschoppe, 1885-1897
- Gustav Albrecht, 1897-1929
- Siegfried von Campe, 1929-1937
- Gustav Berlin, 1937-1943
- Magnus of Klinkowstrom, 1943-1944
- Dr. Carl Düvel, 1944-1945
- Wilhelm Harder, 1945-1946
- Heinrich Becker, 1946-1947
- Jürgen fruits, 1947-1951
- Hermann Busse, 1951
- Heinrich Becker, 1951-1952
- Hermann Busse, 1952-1953
- Willi Scharnhop, 1953-1968
- Erich Schulze, 1968-1986
- Gerhard Schulze, 1986-2004
- Dr. Theodore Elster, 2004-2011
- Dr. Heiko Blume, since 2011
Senior district directors since 1945
- Wilhelm Harder, 1945-1946
- Friedrich von Rappard, 1946-1952
- Reinhart Berger, Chief Administrative Officer, 1952-1975
- Rolf Sander, provisionally 1975-1977
- Dietrich Hoppenstedt, 1977-1979
- Gerhard Geerdts, 1979-1986
- Rolf Sander, provisional 1986
- Dr. Theodore Elster, 1986-2004 (abolition of the Chief Administrative Director )