Visoko, Bosnia and Herzegovina
The municipality ( Općina ) covers an area of 232 km ² and has about 41,000 inhabitants. At the 1991 census, the municipality of Visoko consisted of 44,130 inhabitants. In the town itself lived 14,140 people. Today, the population of the city is estimated at around 17,000.
Visoko was the seat of the Bosnian kings ( Ban ). In the surroundings of the remains of a church are to be found, were crowned the kings. Recent archaeological excavations reveal remains of a Romanesque church ( Roseta ), which was on the mountain town ( Visočica ) part of the city wall. 1885, the city had a Greek Orthodox Church, 13 mosques, a district court and 4994 mostly Bosniak inhabitants. Visoko was formerly one of the finest venues in Bosnia and had a lively tobacco and leather industry.
Among the known structures of the city include the Hadzi Ibrahim Mosque and the White Mosque ( Bijela džamija or Serefudinova džamija ), built in 1980 by Zlatko Ugljen, as well as the Franciscan School, built in 1905 by Ivan Wood.
The end of 2005 claimed the Bosnian Semir Osmanagić, a pyramid (see pyramids in Visoko ) has discovered that a long time was considered a mountain. This so-called pyramid has already become a regional attraction and it starts to develop a regional tourism industry, to a limited extent.
In the district of Donje Mostre is the strongest radio stations in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The resident of the town football club NK Bosna Visoko won in 1999 at the Bosnian football cup competition, the Cup victory. The Bosnian football national team Lidija Kuliš was born in Visoko.