Wettersteingebirge and Mieminger chain (left) from the northeast
The Wettersteingebirge, also briefly called Weather Stone, is a mountain range of the Northern Limestone Alps in the Eastern Alps. It is a relatively compact mountains between Garmisch -Partenkirchen, Mittenwald, Seefeld in Tirol, Ehrwald. Proportion have Germany with the Free State of Bavaria and Austria with the province of Tyrol. The main peak of weather stone, the Zugspitze, the highest peak in Germany.
The Wettersteingebirge is a perfect area for mountaineers and climbers. Hikers need to partially handle large height differences. The effect of the proximity of the mountains to the southern German population centers, the scenic attractiveness and good development with cable cars, that the mountain is very busy at certain times by tourists. However, there are also Wettersteingebirge areas that are seldom or never visited by humans.
- 6.1 huts
- 6.2 long-distance and long-distance trails
- 6.3 Via ferrata
- 6.4 mountain railways
- 6.5 Attractions
Adjacent Mountain Ranges
The weather stone borders the following other mountain groups in the Alps:
- Oberammergau Alps ( west and north )
- Bavarian Alps (north-east )
- Karwendel Mountains ( to the east)
- Mieminger chain ( in the south)
In the AVE, the Alpine Club classification of the Eastern Alps, the weather stone and the Mieminger chain are shown as a single mountain range.
In the west and north, the Loisach forms the border from Ehrwalder pool to Garmisch- Partenkirchen. In the northeast the frontier from Garmisch -Partenkirchen to Mittenwald along the Kankerbachs, the wreath of Bach and the Isar runs. In the east the Isar forms the border of Mittenwald to Scharnitz. South of Scharnitz sets the limit along the Drahnbachs continued up to the level lake blame. In the south the boundary of Ehrwald runs along the Gaisbachs and the Ehrwalder Alm to the Gaistal ( Leutascher Ache ) and continue on Leutasch Oberweidach and north of Simmel mountain pass to Drahnbach.
The saddle between the Kankerbach and the rim Bach ( watershed Loisach - Isar ) connects the weather stone with the Bavarian Alps. The saddle in the Ehrwalder Alm provides the connection between weather and stone Mieminger chain.
The Alpine Club leader divides the Wettersteingebirge in the following sub- groups:
- Zugspitze and platform framing ( the peaks around the Zugspitzplatt )
- Riffelwand comb ( the northernmost of the outgoing side of the Zugspitze mountain ridges )
- Waxensteinkamm ( the continuation of the Riffelwand comb )
- Pale comb (the middle of the ridges of the weather stone, from the Zugspitze to the Alpine peaks and beyond)
- Weather Stone comb ( the southernmost and longest of the three ridges of the weather stone, from Gatterl in the west to Mittenwald in the East)
- Arnstock ( a single standing mountain range in Scharnitz )
After SOIUSA the Wettersteingebirge is divided into two groups and eight subgroups:
- Zugspitze Group ( 4) Zugspitze massif ( 4.a)
- Riffelwand Massif ( 4.b )
- Waxenstein Massif ( 4.c )
- Pale Massif ( 4.d )
- Hochwanner Massif ( 5.a)
- Dreitorspitze Massif ( 5.b)
- Wettersteinwand Massif ( 5.c)
- Wamberg Massif ( 5.d )
The 10 highest peaks in the weather stone:
In Wettersteingebirge there are over 150 named and provided with spot elevation summit. Among the best known are (in order of height):
- Leutascher Dreitorspitze, 2682 m
- Eastern Weathertop, 2668 m
- Part Dreitorspitze 2633 m
- Alpine peaks, 2628 m
- Large Riffelwandspitze 2626 m
- Schüsselkarspitze 2555 m
- Oberreintalschrofen, 2523 m
- Öfelekopf, 2478 m
- Pattern stone, 2478 m
- Mitre peak, 2367 m
- Big Waxenstein, 2277 m
- Large Arnspitze, 2196 m
- Osterfelderkopf, 2050 m
- Stuiben 1921 m
- Schachen, 1870 m
- Eckbauer, 1239 m
The Zugspitze is often mounted on various routes, including the Alpine peaks is due to several climbing plants a popular summit goal. The Jubiläumsgrat as high alpine Lead connects these two peaks. The climb along the ridge Blass on the crest of Inner, Middle and Outer Höllentalspitze has points to the lower third of difficulty on ( III UIAA scale).
The area around the Oberreintalhütte and the south side of the Schüsselkarspitze and Scharnitzspitze are known for alpine climbing routes of all levels in a solid platy limestone. The south side above the Gaistal is significantly quieter than the north side.
The mountains north of Leutasch are very interesting for climbers, in particular the Oberreintal - Schrofen that Scharnitzspitze and Schüsselkarspitze. In the south faces of these three border mountains alpine climbing routes are present in large numbers. In recent years, some alpine classic was by Heinz Zak with the renovation started. This fact is attracting more and more climbers in this area.
The combination of pastures and craggy rock regions is not only unique in the German Alpine region, but also provides habitat for some species, such as chamois, alpine marmots, Alpine Chough, Alpine salamander, viper, the golden eagle and many marten species.
The German Alpine Club has six managed mountain huts with accommodation in Wettersteingebirge: the Münchner Haus ( 2962 m), the Meilerhütte ( 2366 m), the Knorr Hut ( 2052 m), the Kreuzeckhaus (also: Adolf- Zoeppritz - house, 1652 m), the Höllentalanger hut ( 1379 m) and the Reintalangerhuette ( 1366 m). In addition, the privately managed Chess House offer (1866 m) and the Wiener Neustadt hut ( 2209 m, maintained by the Austrian Tourist Club ) Catering, protection and shelter for mountaineers and hikers. The Munich section of the German Alpine Club leases since 1920, the Waxensteinhütte (also Alpl or Aiplehütte ) and operates as a self-catering accommodation. In Oberreintalkar is the Oberreintalhütte, the meeting place of the weather stone climber is ( self-catering lodge with drinks sold by the landlord ). In winter, the Stuibenhütte is open as bewartete self- catering chalet for ski touring and snowshoeing. Also available within the Wettersteingebirge several huts are privately owned. Of these, the Kreuzjochhaus with its idyllic location stands out particularly, since in the Bavarian Alps has before him in the summer one of the most beautiful panoramas and one is located in the ski resort of Garmisch -Partenkirchen in the winter.
Long-distance and long-distance trails
The Via Alpina, a cross-border long-distance trail with five sub- paths through the whole Alps, also passes through the weather stone. The Red Trail Via Alpina runs with three stages by the weather stone as follows:
- Stage R44 runs from Scharnitz to Meilerhütte about Leutasch alley
- Stage R45 extends from the Meilerhütte to Reintalangerhuette about chess House
- Stage R46 extends from the Reintalangerhuette to Coburg Cottage (the second part of this stage is in the Mieminger chain)
The North Alpine Weitwanderweg 01 ( Kalkalpenweg ) extends with its section 15 in two variants by the weather stone.
From Scharnitz through the High saddle to Leutasch Ahrn both versions have the same course. In Ahrn the long-distance trail forks into a high alpine and in a lighter version. The high-altitude variant via the Meilerhütte into Reintal and further to the Zugspitze. From there, relegated to Ehrwald. The lighter version performs the Leutascher Achen valley and over the Ehrwalder Alm also to Ehrwald.
In Wettersteingebirge there are the following via ferrata:
- Get on the Riffelscharte
- Mountain Climbing through the hell valley to the Zugspitze
- Via Ferrata on the Wiener Neustadt hut on the Zugspitze
- Climb the Schneefernerkopf
- Alpspitz Ferrata
- Brunntalgratsteig of the Knorr Hut on the Jubiläumsgrat
- Ferrata on the Dreitorspitze ( Hermann -von- Barth- way )
- Beautifully programs at the Alpine peaks
- North face climbing of the Alpine peaks
- Wallcreeper Climb the Berna Your head
Several large mountain railways open up the summits and high-altitude resorts: The Bavarian Zugspitze Railway ( Cog Railway meter gauge from Garmisch to Zugspitzplatt ), the Eibseeseilbahn (cableway from Eibsee to Zugspitzplatt ), the Tyrolean Zugspitze Railway (cableway from Ehrwald to Zugspitzplatt ) and the Ehrwalder Almbahn.
Those who wish to engage in any climbing or multi-day summit tour, can wander through the Hell Valley as a day trip Partnachklamm that Leutaschklamm or the gorge.