William Barton Wade Dent
William Barton Wade Dent ( born September 8, 1806 Bryantown, Charles County, Maryland, † September 7, 1855 in Newnan, Georgia ) was an American politician. Between 1853 and 1855 he represented the state of Georgia in the U.S. House of Representatives.
William Dent was initially taught at a private school. Thereafter he attended until 1823 the Charlotte Hall Military Academy. In 1824 he moved to Mallorysville in Georgia, where he worked as a teacher. Since 1827 he has been active in Bullsboro commercially. In 1828 he was involved in the founding of the city Newnan. In the following years, Dent has worked very successfully in agriculture. In this field, he was active in several counties in Georgia as well as in the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee and Texas. In these states, he possessed large estates. He was also a colonel in the state militia of Georgia during a war against the Creek.
Politically, Dent was a member of the Democratic Party. In 1843 he was elected to the House of Representatives from Georgia. In 1849 he became a judge in Coweta County, which suggests an earlier study of law. In the congressional elections of 1852 Dent was in the fourth electoral district of Georgia in the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington DC chosen, where he became the successor of Charles Murphey on March 4, 1853. Since he resigned in 1854 to run again, he was able to complete only one term in Congress until March 3, 1855. These were determined from the discussions leading to the Civil War. It was at that time especially around the issue of slavery.
William Dent died just six months after his retirement from the U.S. House of Representatives on September 7, 1855 in Newnan.