Martin Jenkins Crawford
Martin Jenkins Crawford attended Brownwood Institute and Mercer University in Macon. He then studied law, was admitted to the bar in 1839 and opened a private practice in Hamilton. In addition, he worked in agriculture.
Crawford decided in 1845 to pursue a political career by being elected to the House of Representatives from Georgia, where he remained until 1847. Then he moved to Columbus in 1849. He was also a member of the Southern Convention in May 1850 in Nashville. After that, he was a judge at the District Court ( Superior Court ) of the Chattahoochee District, where he worked until November 1854 since February 1, 1854. Then he ran as a Democrat for the 34th Congress and won, as well as the two subsequent times.
He was sitting on 4 March 1855 to 23 January 1861 Congress, when he resigned because of the secession of Georgia. He then settled in as a deputy in the provisional Konföderiertenkongress, where he remained from January 1861 to February 22, 1862. Konföderiertenpräsident Jefferson Davis appointed him as Special Agent of the Government in the United States in Washington. In May 1862, he built the 3rd Georgia Cavalry Regiment and served a year with this. Then he was assigned to the staff of Major General Howell Cobb, where he was until the end of the Civil War. He was later appointed as a judge of the District Court of Chattahoochee District to fill the vacancy that was created by the resignation of Judge James Johnson on October 1, 1875. Crawford was reappointed in 1877 and was, until February 9, 1880 where he worked when he resigned in order to fill an empty seat on the Supreme Court of Georgia on February 10, 1880. He was re-appointed and until his death on July 23, 1883 in Columbus where he worked. He was buried in the Cemetery Linnwood.