William Chester Lankford
William Chester Lankford ( born December 7, 1877 Clinch County, Georgia, † December 10, 1964 in Twin Lakes, Georgia ) was an American politician. Between 1919 and 1933 he represented the state of Georgia in the U.S. House of Representatives.
William Lankford attended the common schools and worked in his home district, even for a few years as a teacher. He then completed until 1897, the Jasper Normal Institute in Jasper ( Florida). He attended in Abbeville until 1900, the Georgia Normal College and Business Institute. After a subsequent law studies at the University of Georgia in Athens and its made in 1901 admitted to the bar he began in Douglas to work in his new profession. In 1906 he was elected mayor of this city. Between 1907 and 1918 Lankford was a member of the Board of Education in his hometown. He was from 1908 to 1916 worked as a judge.
Politically, Lankford member of the Democratic Party. In 1916, he ran unsuccessfully for Congress yet. In the congressional elections of 1918, he was then in the eleventh electoral district of Georgia in the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington DC chosen, where he became the successor of John Randall Walker on March 4, 1919. After six re- election he was able to complete in Congress until March 3, 1933 seven legislative sessions. At this time there the 18th, the 19th and the 20th Amendment to the Constitution were adopted. It was about the end of 1933 repealed Prohibition Act, the nationwide introduction of women's suffrage as well as bringing forward the start of the legislative sessions of Congress or of the terms of office of the President. The latter Amendment was adopted shortly before the end of Lankford last term.
1932 William Lankford was not nominated by his party for re-election to Congress. In the following years he worked again as a lawyer. Between 1935 and 1942 he worked for the federal agency General Accounting Office. He then retired to his retirement. William Lankford died on December 10, 1964 in Twin Lakes, and was buried in Douglas.