History Portal | Portal Biographies | Current Events | Calendar years
Heads of State
Year of the Fire Snake丁巳(at the beginning of Fire Dragon丙辰)
Era of Diocletian: 433/434 ( year November )
Syria: 1028/29 ( year October )
Politics and World Affairs
- March 21: Victory of the mayor of the palace, Charles Martel about his Neustrian opponents in the Battle of Vincy.
- Charles Martel, the Frankish Empire House Meier leaves, as the king of Austrasia kingdom part Clotaire IV crown. He can move in Cologne, forcing Plectrude to hand over the treasury of his father Pippin.
- After their defeat at Vincy (or Vinchy; south of Cambrai ), the Neustrian King Chilperic II and his house Meier Raganfrid contact the Duke Eudo of Aquitaine, which they promise an independent kingdom in the case of assistance.
Byzantine Empire / Umayyad
- March 25: Leo III. usurped the throne of Byzantium; he founded the Syrian ( " Isaurian " ) dynasty.
- August 15: During the Islamic expansion, the siege of Constantinople begins by Arab armies under commander Maslamah.
- September 1: The Arab fleet under Caliph Sulayman support the land army at the siege of Constantinople.
- ʿ Umar ibn ʿ Abd al - ʿ Azeez succeeds Sulaiman ibn Abd al -Malik as the eighth Caliph of the Umayyad.
Republic of Venice
- Marcello Tegalliano is second Doge of Venice.
- Nechtan, King of the Picts, distributes the monks from the monastery of Iona.
- From 717: reconstruction of the destroyed monastery of Monte Cassino by Abt Petronax.
- December 24: An earthquake hit northern Syria, while the old church destroyed in Edessa.
- 717: Rabi'a al - Adawiyya, Islamic mystic († 801)
- Basil Onomagulos, Byzantine Gegenkaiser
- Eadwulf, King of Northumbria
- Ecgwine, Bishop of Worcester
- Hedan II, Duke of Thuringia
- Liutwin, Bishop of Rheims, Trier, and Laon, Saint
- Sulayman, Caliph of the Umayyad
- 717: Theodosius II, Duke of Bavaria