Charles Sitgreaves ( born April 22, 1803 in Easton, Northampton County, Pennsylvania, † March 17, 1878 in Phillipsburg, New Jersey ) was an American politician. Between 1865 and 1869 he represented the State of New Jersey in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Already in 1806 came Charles Sitgreaves with his parents to New Jersey, where he enjoyed a classical education. After a subsequent law degree in 1824 and its recent approval as a lawyer, he started in Phillipsburg to work in this profession. At the same time he proposed as a member of the Democratic Party launched a political career. Between 1831 and 1833 he was a deputy in the New Jersey General Assembly. He was also a member of the state militia of New Jersey, in which he as Major Commandant belonged to guide Corps 1828-1838. In the years 1834 and 1835 Sitgreaves sat on the city council of Phillipsburg; 1851 to 1854 he was a member of the New Jersey Senate. He also appeared in the years 1861 and 1862 the mayor of Phillipsburg. In the meantime, he joined in the railway business and the banking industry. He became president of the Belvidere & Delaware Railroad Co. From 1856 to 1878 he was also President of the National Bank of Phillipsburg.
In the congressional elections of 1864 Sitgreaves in the third electoral district of New Jersey was in the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington DC chosen, where he became the successor of William G. Steele on March 4, 1865. After a re-election he was able to complete in Congress until March 3, 1869 two legislative sessions. Since 1865 the work of the Congress was marked by the conflict between the Republican Party and President Andrew Johnson, culminating in a narrowly failed impeachment. While Sitgreaves ' time as an MP were the 13th and the 14th Amendment to the Constitution ratified. In 1868 he renounced a new Congress candidacy.
After the end of his time in the U.S. House of Representatives sat Charles Sitgreaves its activities in the railway industry and the banking industry continued. He died on March 17, 1878 in Phillipsburg, and was buried in his native Easton.