Galzignano Terme is a municipality with 4405 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) in the province of Padua. It is characterized mainly agrarian and partly spa town (implicit in the name of additional terms ). The municipality is located partly in the Natural Park of the Euganean Hills.
The next to the nucleus several scattered villages extensive municipal area is from the woods of Monte Rua (416 m), the Monte Orsara (362 m) and Monte Gallo ( 385 m ) enclosed semi-circular. Located on the slopes of this hill areas are predominantly used for agricultural purposes by fruit and olive cultivation.
At the foot of the hill the municipal area runs out in the Po Valley. There is an existing four hotels spa has established, the hot 87 ° C, leaving bromine -iodine sources of thermal waters and mud therapies used in Civrana in the east. The spa is also a spa area for tourists, and a 9- hole golf course complements the system to a sporty dimension.
Together with the adjacent Kurgemeinden Abano Terme, Abano Terme, Battaglia Terme SPA is one of the complex of Terme Galzignano the so-called Euganean thermal region.
The area belonged to the Republic of Venice in 1797, according to archaeological finds, it was already inhabited in prehistoric times.
From the 15th century numerous villas and manors emerged as summer residences of wealthy Venetians, mostly singly on the tops of hills. Some of these villas are now in ruins, others have been restored and are privately owned. An early example of Venetian Renaissance, Villa Rizzoli Benedetti, built in the 15th century ( rebuilt in the 18th century). In later eras, Villa La Civrana go back to the 17th century, owned by the feudal lords Capodilista Emo, Villa Saggini (late 18th century) and Villa Boggian (second half of 18th century). In the summer months open to the public is provided with the elaborate water games park of Villa Barbarigo Pizzone Ardemani in the district Valsanzibio, which is considered a classic example of Baroque garden art in the Veneto. Francesco Zuane Barbarigo and his son Antonio who can build the villa in the 17th century itself.
In 1962, around the villa gardens, a 27- hole golf course, designed by the American golf architect Commander John D. Harris.
Districts ( frazioni )
- Cengolina Sottovenda
- Civrana ( spa )
Galzignano Terme is the starting point for hikes and mountain bike tours in the not accessible to a large extent by car Natural Park of the Euganean Hills ( Colli Euganei ). Attractions in the marginal zone of the nature reserve in the municipality of Galzigano terms are particularly
- The gardens of Villa Barbarigo in the district Valsanzibio (see above) and
- The Church of the Assumption ( Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta ) on the homonymous hill above the village core; it was rebuilt in 1674 in place of a precursor to the 13th century, and contains in its interior an altarpiece from the 17th century depicting the Assumption of Mary with two saints. The frescoes in the church are usually closed mostly not preserved. Santa Maria Assunta is no longer used for worship after 1961 in the town center, a new parish church was built.
- On Monte Orbieso expire the ruins of the former Benedictine priory of San Eusebio (12th century), which once had 72 agricultural areas according to a register of 1518 and consecrated with another Benedictine monastery of the Annunciation, by a mule path ( Strada Fonda ) was connected; of this are also in ruins. Today, following a trail ( sentiero Atestino, 22 km long) the historical traces.
- Feast of the Rosary ( Sagra del Rosario ); Patronal feast is on October 7, but the Sagra is brought forward to the first Sunday in October
- Palio with mules, at the same time held the Feast of the Rosary; in period costumes, the victory of the Venetians against the Turks in the Battle of Lepanto (1571 ) is reenacted.