Torreglia is a municipality with 6191 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) in the province of Padua. It lies partly in the nature park of the Euganean Hills.
Geography / community structure
The municipality is located - with its current industrially defined capital - partly in the plane of the Euganean thermal region, where the spa towns of Abano Terme, Abano Terme, Galzignano Terme, Battaglia Terme from the hot springs which emerge at the foot of these hills, benefit, and partly - with its historical nucleus and today the district Torreglia Alta - 132 m high in the middle of the hill, surrounded by chestnut forests at the foot of Monte Rua (416 m). The municipal area in the hills further the districts include ( frazioni )
- Luvigliano ( town, with numerous Venetian villas north of Torreglia Alta)
- Valderio ( historic mills north of Torreglia Alta)
- Vallorto (east of Torreglia Alta)
The etymology of the name is unclear. One theory he derives from the mythical taurlia (Latin taurus = bull, that is organized by Antenor bullfights in honor of the gods ) is prepared according to another theory of Turrilia (it. = torre tower, ie, after the numerous guard and defensive towers it has been since de late Antiquity in the region in the fight against the " barbarians ").
The first traces of settlement dating back to the Romans. On the road from Torreglia by Alta Torreglia the relics of an aqueduct have been found.
As the Benedictine Abbey of Praglia founded in the 13th century, the area was settled permanently. She belonged to the Free City of Padua, and after 1405, when Padua had lost its independence, the Republic of Venice, in whose rule it remained until 1797 ( Napoleonic conquest ). From this period numerous patrician villas, the rich Venetians as summer residences in the pleasant climate of the hill built up, such as the Villa Tolomei its extensive parkland, Villa Ferri, Villa Maluta (now Assunta ), the villa Medin (now Immaculate ), the Villa Isabella and others. Some of these villas are now converted to hotels, other not publicly available. Bishops, artists and scholars have chosen the area around Alta Torreglia as a second home and retirement home since the 17th century.
1866 to the port of Venice to the Italian Republic was Torreglia independent commune, which underwent an economic boom in the 20th century.
1999/2000 were filmed and directed by Carlo Mazzacurati in Torreglia Alta some scenes for the film " La lingua del Santo " with Antonio Albanese and Fabrizio Bentivoglio. The film is about the tragicomic adventures of two bandits who inadvertently rob the tongue of Saint Anthony of Padua.
- Exposed on a hill is the parish church of Saint Sabinus with going back to a medieval tower steeple; from there to a wide panorama in the Euganean thermal region with the expiring hills, Abano Terme and Abano Terme opened.
- Access to the Monte Rua against the church cemetery with large cypresses leads through the chestnut woods to several vantage points in the Paduan level and on a clear day over Monselice away toward the lagoon of Chioggia. The Camaldolese hermitage del Rua ( originally built by the Benedictines in 1339 and rebuilt in 1537 ) on the summit of the mountain is surrounded by high walls and accessible only at certain times of men to attend the service.
On the road from Alta to Torreglia Galzignano Terme is located on a hill a palace ( " castle" ), which was built from Padua Benedictine monks in the 16th century.
- The most significant of villas to Luvigliano is the bishop's palace (Villa dei Vescovi ) with large arches in the base and loggia on the first floor; it was designed in the 16th century for the Paduan bishop Francesco Pisani by Giovanni Maria Falconetto ( 1468-1532 ). This, inter alia, builder working for Luigi Cornaro considered to be pioneering for the Renaissance villa architecture in Veneto, in Andrea Palladio found its completion a generation later. The Villa dei Vescovi was donated by the family of the FAI in 2005 and is since 2011 in the form of renovated again open to visitors.
- In the parish church of San Martino is a Renaissance altarpiece depicting the coat division of St. Martin of Girolamo da Santacroce (Giovanni Bellini student, 16th century).
The best known in Torreglia resident ( main town in the plane ) companies are an Italian subsidiary of the refrigeration company Carrier (Carrier Refrigeration Operation Italy SpA, formerly Criosbanc SpA) and the Luxardo SpA, the Italian successor company of an originally founded in Croatia company, the cherry liqueur the maraschino produced. In addition, there are companies for textiles and building materials.
The districts in the hills benefit from tourism, which has established itself in the thermal spas in the plane. Guests visiting in the context of day trips the numerous trattorias in the municipality. Local specialty is the Torresano ( rock doves - frying). In Torreglia it is baked in the oven while it is being roasted in Breganze where it Torresano also gives, on a spit. It is served with polenta. There are also rural tourism accommodations for longer stays in the region.
The districts in the hills are agrarian in other respects. It produces wines with DOC quality, cereals, vegetables and fruit.
Associated with the community personalities
- Born Jacopo Facciolati, 1682-1769, poet and humanist, in Torreglia
- Giuseppe Barbieri, 1774-1852, writer and researcher at the University of Padua, had buried a country house (Villa Barbieri - Verson ) in Torreglia Alta and is located in the parish church of St. Sabinus.
- Roberto Ferruzzi, 1853-1934, painter from Sebenico in Dalmatia, lived in a house below the Monte Sengiari in the district Luvigliano and died there
- Cesare Pollini, 1858-1912, pianist, also lived in Luvigliano
- , Died Girolamo Bartolomeo Bortignon, 1905-1992, Bishop of Belluno and Feltre, 1905-1992 Torreglia Alta
- Alberto Bigonville, * 1947, in Italy known former soccer player and coach, retired into private life as a grandfather back here.
- Webpage of Luvigliano