Mattel Inc. is an American toy company. He became known primarily through the Barbie dolls, the Big Jim and the Masters -of-the -Universe action figures. Mattel, with global headquarters in El Segundo, California, employs over 26,000 people in 42 countries and sells its products in more than 150 countries. The German headquarters is located in Dreieich.
- 2.1 Toys
- 2.2 Games
- 2.3 Miscellaneous
1945 Mattel Elliot Handler and his wife Ruth Handler was by Harold Matson, founded in a garage. The company is made up of Matson's nickname " Matt" and " Elliot ". The first products were picture frames and doll furniture made of wood. Expanding the range of dolls' clothes was very successful, and so the couple decided handler, after separation from the partner Matson, is to concentrate more on toys.
In 1959 the first Barbie doll and Ken doll 1961 ( Barbie's friend) appeared. Mattel started in 1966 the first European settlement. The first Hot Wheels toy car models appeared in 1968. The action figure Big Jim came in 1972 on the U.S. market.
1975 left the couple handler Mattel 1978 Mattel began with the development of the first 16 - bit video game console, the Intellivision, which was released in 1980. Two years later, the first master -of-the -Universe figures were published. In 1992, Mattel International Games, which was particularly successful with card games like Uno, Skip -Bo and Rage. In 1993, Mattel the manufacturer of baby and toddler toys Fisher-Price and merged in 1997 with Tyco Toys under the simultaneous acquisition of the brands Matchbox, Tyco R / C and View-Master. In 1999, Mattel learning software company The Learning Company. 2000 Mattel became the main licensee of the Harry Potter toy series.
In 2006, Mattel, the acquisition of specialized electronics toys manufacturer Radica Games Ltd.. known.
Mid-2008, Mattel sued MGA competing group, known by the Bratz dolls, to several million dollars in compensation, for copyright infringement. A Barbie designer had the doll manufacturer designs sold, although he was still at Mattel under contract. Whether the group may already crafted dolls continue to sell, is still unclear.
In 2009, the French game company Sekkoia that has become known by Blokus, acquired by Mattel.
Recall and punishment
- Beginning of August 2007 called Mattel world's 1.5 million Chinese-made toys back because they were painted with a color, which had a high lead content. The head of the Chinese subcontractor committed suicide. The profit impact the Group amounted to 30 million U.S. dollars.
- Just two weeks later, on August 14, 2007, started the toy maker's biggest product recall in company history. He took more than 18 million dolls, toy cars and others are produced in China toys from the market. To the products, so as to parts of the play set Barbie & Tanner dog, according to the company's management small magnets were attached, the children could swallow. Mattel shares lost shortly after the New York Stock Exchange beginning more than 3.3 percent of their value.
- In June 2009, a penalty by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission CPSC in the amount of 2.3 million dollars was imposed against Mattel and its subsidiary Fisher-Price. The companies had knowingly imported Chinese toys with excessive lead content and marketed.
- In September 2010, Mattel world called back around 11 million items. According to the company were able to solve small parts and pose a choking hazard for young children of two sold in Germany and Austria toys; certain Highchairs would involve a risk of injury.
In Black Markenfirmen - The machinations of global corporations is the group accused of exploiting its suppliers, eg Hourly wage of just 11 cents at the 16- hour work days and non-union rights in China.
To prepare the outer packaging of cardboard used Mattel timber from Indonesian rain forests, in which the last 400 Sumatran tigers live.
Since 2011 there has been cooperation with the Argentine company Dimare, which revived the once developed in Germany Block System Rasti. With the brand name Hot Wheels four vehicle models from the typical modules are offered as a kit here.
In this section, products and programs from the company are listed. It makes no claim to completeness.
- Barbie and Ken dolls
- Cabbage Patch Kids (1994-2000)
- Computer Warriors (1989-1990)
- Extreme Dinosaurs
- Hot Wheels
- Big Jim (1972-1986)
- Masters of the Universe Action Figures
- Princess of Power
- Magic 8 Ball
- My Scene Dolls
- Pixel Chix
- Pixar 's Cars
- Polly Pocket
- Monster High
- Pound Puppies
- Street Sharks
- Tickle Me Elmo
- Tyco R / C
- WWE figures
- Cherry Merry Muffin
- Lady curls light
- StarCom (in cooperation with Coleco )
- Scene It?
- Mattel Aquarius (home computers )
- Intellivision ( The first 16- bit game console)