Equinix, Inc. is a U.S. based corporation, which operates independent system operator data centers and Internet exchange. The company is active in ten countries and provides its customers with floor space in its data centers (colocation ) and the corresponding internet connectivity. The customers of Equinix include larger companies, Internet content providers and network operators.
The company was founded in 1998 by Jay Adelson and Al Avery, who worked previously at Digital Equipment Corporation and was involved in the formation of internet - node PAIX in Palo Alto. Their concept was to set up neutral data centers that were not dependent on any of the leading network operator and its transmission capacity. Both small and large network operators and providers should be able to peer with equal rights here. From the idea of equal neutral internet exchange, the company Equinix revealed.
On July 27, 1999 Equinix's first data center was in a former warehouse in Ashburn in Washington, DC in operation. As of 1992, the MCI WorldCom and operated by Internet nodes MAE East was here, many network operators were represented by high-performance Internet connections to all parts of the USA and Europe in the region already. Until 2002, most customers had switched from MAE East to the Equinix International Business Exchange (IBX ). Today the farm is Ashburner from now five data centers with a data throughput of up to 80 Gbit / s (July 2009) the largest Internet node dar. in the U.S.
Since August 11, 2000 Equinix is listed.
On the European market, Equinix has been present since mid-2007, were added as through the acquisition of IXEurope based in London 14 data centers in Germany, France, Great Britain, Netherlands and Switzerland.
- Germany: 5 in Frankfurt ( City, North, Mörfelden, Griesheim, gallus), 3 in Munich, 2 in Dusseldorf
- France: 2 in Saint -Denis, 1 in Roissy -en -France (both in Paris)
- United Kingdom: 3 in London ( City West, Park Royal), 2 in Slough
- Netherlands: 3 in Amsterdam, one in Enschede, 1 in Zwolle
- Switzerland: 5 in Zurich, 2 in Geneva
- Chicago: 3 in Chicago, one in Elk Grove Village
- Dallas (1 site )
- Los Angeles: Los Angeles 2 in, 2 in El Segundo
- New York: 1 in New York, one in Newark, 2 in Secaucus
- Silicon Valley: 2 in San Jose, one in Santa Clara, one in Sunnyvale
- Washington, DC: 5 in Ashburn
Asia / Pacific
- Hong Kong (1 site )
- Singapore ( 2 locations )
- Tokyo (2 locations)
- Sydney ( 2 locations )