2008 WNBA draft
The twelfth WNBA Draft took place on April 9, 2008 at the Innisbrook Resort and Golf Club in Tampa, Florida, United States instead. The 14 WNBA teams had out on the opportunity to secure the rights to the most promising talents. Each team was allowed to select one player per round.
The Draft 2008
Since the Atlanta Dream joined this season in the league, an expansion draft for the Atlanta Dream took place before the WNBA Draft.
The WNBA Draft itself went through three rounds. Thus a total of 42 players were selected. The lion's share with 33 players represented the United States.
Transfers of draft picks
- The Detroit Shock got the first-round pick of the San Antonio Silver Stars ( 11th pick overall ), because of Katie Feenstra / Ruth Riley transfers in February 2007.
- The San Antonio Silver Stars were awarded the 21 draft pick ( second round ) by the 2007 WNBA Draft transfer with the New York Liberty.
- On 6 February 2008, the Atlanta Dream their first-round pick transferred ( total 4 pick ) and Roneeka Hodges to the Seattle Storm for their first-round pick ( 8th overall pick ) and Iziane Castro Marques.
- On 6 February 2008, the Detroit Shock got the second-round pick ( 18th overall pick ) and LaToya Thomas of Atlanta for Ivory Latta.
- February 19, 2008 Seattle got Swin Cash of Detroit for their first-round pick ( fourth overall pick, originally from Atlanta ).
- On February 19, 2008, there was a transfer between the Connecticut Sun and Indiana Fever, Connecticut where the first-round pick received (a total of 12 pick ) and Tamika Whitmore of Indiana for Katie Douglas.