The Main- Kinzig-Kreis is the most populous county in Hesse, at the same time he is the geographically largest district in southern Hesse. It is located in the eastern Rhine -Main area. The largest town of the district is Hanau. Administrative center of the circle is Gelnhausen. The densely populated southwestern part of the circle around the cities of Hanau and the Main is also part of the city region of Frankfurt. The district was created in 1974 by the merger of the independent city of Hanau with the Altkreisen Hanau, Gelnhausen and Schlüchtern. In addition came through incorporations places to Main- Kinzig-Kreis, previously did not belong to the Altkreisen, such as Heldenbergen than district of Nidderau and Büdesheim than district of Schoeneck that the Altkreis Friedberg belonged until then, and today Hanauer Districts Steinheim and small Auheim, before the Offenbach district. In 1977, the city of Bergen -Enkheim, which initially belonged to the Main -Kinzig district, district of Frankfurt am Main was. In addition, the unincorporated Gutsbezirk Spessart is located in the area of the Main- Kinzig district.
Neighboring districts are in the north of the Vogelsberg and the district of Fulda, in the east of the Bavarian districts of Bad Kissingen, Main-Spessart, in the south of also Bavarian district of Aschaffenburg, in the southwestern district of Offenbach and the district-free city of Frankfurt am Main and in the west and northwest of the Wetterau.
The district takes its name from the two main rivers, the Main, which forms the southwestern boundary circle and the Kinzig, a right tributary of the Main river, which flows through the district area from northeast to southwest. The landscapes around the Kinzig are the foothills of the Vogelsberg, Spessart and Rhön the western. North of the Kinzig extends the Ronneburger hill country and the Büdinger forest.
The present district area was formerly fragmented into numerous dominions. A large part were the Counts of Hanau and the noble families von Hutten and Ysenburg.
On August 21, 1821 Electorate of Hesse was divided into circles. The new circles Hanau, Gelnhausen, Salmuenster and Schlüchtern it formed the province of Hanau, one of the four provinces of the country. On January 1, 1830, the district Salmuenster was dissolved and distributed its communities on the adjacent circles Gelnhausen and Schlüchtern.
1866 Electoral Hesse was annexed by Prussia in 1867, its territory was transferred to the new Region of Kassel; the province of Hanau was dissolved. The circle Gelnhausen received the judicial district Orb from the Kingdom of Bavaria.
1885, the county of Hanau was reduced by the removal of the new district of Frankfurt, and the exit of the town of Hanau.
Since then, the three counties and the independent city of Hanau now existed largely unchanged until the 1970s. However, Hanau and the three circles alternated twice the government district, they came in 1944 to the governmental district of Wiesbaden and 1968 Region of Darmstadt.
Ahead of municipal reform in Hesse, numerous variations have been discussed as one might create from the outgrown counties larger units. In the Kinzig valley was finally decided on the "big solution" means the merger of the three counties and the city of Hanau to the new Main-Kinzig -Kreis, the (by population ) largest in Hesse. The merger was completed on 1 July 1974. The city of Hanau retained as the city with special status ( over 50,000 inhabitants), however, some special rights. It has, for example, have their own social security office and its own admissions office.
1977, the work to the Main- Kinzig-Kreis protected town of Bergen- Enkheim was incorporated to Frankfurt am Main.
Seat of county government was initially Hanau, where the two former district towns Gelnhausen and Schlüchtern retained their county administrations. In 2005 the county government was finally transferred to the central Gelnhausen. Here, the district received the new license plate MKK, while Hanau has kept the city with special status the abbreviation HU.
Since 1 January 2013, the license plate slue ( Schlüchtern ) and GN ( Gelnhausen ) are available again.
Today, the Main -Kinzig district, with about 410,000 inhabitants, the most populous county in Hesse, with an area of 1,400 km ² it is fourth.
The spectrum of the resident at different locations in a circle company covers of modern large-scale industry and the manufacturing SME innovative craft enterprises to the strongly grown just in the last few years the number of new start-ups. In the last quarter of a century the industry in South imprinted continue the economic face of the region. Noteworthy is the high large -scale structure of the industry in the Main- Kinzig district. Of the 100 largest industrial companies in Hessen have seven their location in the Main- Kinzig-Kreis. Among the companies based in the county, there are numerous companies of international standing such as Evonik Industries, Infracor, WOCO, Heraeus, Dunlop, Veritas. But even well-established company such as BienZenker.
By the district the federal highways lead 66 (Frankfurt- Fulda) and 45 ( Aschaffenburg Dortmund). In addition, several federal, state and county roads open up the district area, including the B 43 and B 45 The circle is traversed in its entire length Frankfurt-Fulda-Berlin/Hamburg/Dresden of the mainline route ( Kinzig Valley Railway ). In the southwestern part of Circle thus crosses the railway junction Hanau the mainline route Frankfurt -Würzburg -Nuremberg- Munich. Routes of regional significance for passenger transport are:
- Hanau - Friedberg
- Bad Vilbel - Stock Home
- Gelnhausen - Casting
- Hanau - Erbach - Eberbach
- Hanau - Schöllkrippen.
The Transport authority or organization director for public transport is the county Transport Company Main-Kinzig (CCG ). The CCG MKK is part of the Rhine - Main Transport Association ( RMV). On behalf of the CCG MKK drive sixteen different bus companies to the 100 bus lines, which are marked in the RMV as MKK -xx.
The municipal election held 27 March 2011 yielded the following results:
- Hans Rüger, CDU (1974-1987)
- Karl Eyerkaufer, SPD (1987-2005)
- Erich Pipa, SPD ( since 2005)
Coat of arms
Blazon: Shared and semi- split: the top in red is a growing out of a silver Wellenschildfuß, reinforced golden, silver swan; down the front of a red gold reinforced black eagle with a silver breastplate with black bars; down the back in red two golden oblique beams (Coat of Arms Awards December 30, 1980 )
Meaning: The swan stands for the county of Hanau and was seen already in the old county coat of arms of Hanau. The eagle was removed from the old county coat of arms of Gelnhausen and slant bars refer to the Lords of Hutten and the old district of Schlüchtern. The wave bar represents the two rivers that gave its name to the circuit.
Cities and Towns
(Population at 31 December 2012)
Free community area
Grimm Museum with frog king in Steinau
St. Mary's Church in Gelnhausen
Mountain church in Gruendau - Niedergründau