Ayrshire ( schott Gaelic Siorrachd Inbhir AIR) is a traditional county (English Shire ) in the southwest of Scotland. Today, the area Ayrshires in the districts of East Ayrshire, North Ayrshire ( extended to the Isle of Arran ) and South Ayrshire is divided. After this county the Ayrshire breed of cattle is named.
The significant components Ayrshires are in a ditch, called the Midland Valley, south of the mountain ranges of the Highlands and north of the Southern Uplands. It encloses the entire west coast of the Midland Valley to the Firth of Clyde and the Irish Sea and extends into parts, down to the Southern Uplands. Ayrshire is one of the most fertile areas of Scotland and is heavily reliant on agriculture.
The weather in the west of Scotland is strongly influenced by the Atlantic Gulf Stream and is characterized by moderately warm summers and mild winters.
Personalities from Ayrshire
- William Wallace (c. 1270-1305 ), Scottish freedom fighter ( Ellerslie ). The exact birthplace of William Wallace in Scotland is controversial
- Quintin Craufurd (1743-1819), author and art collector
- John Loudon McAdam (1756-1836), developer of the asphalt pavement Ayr
- Sir Thomas Brisbane (1773-1860), Scottish soldier and colonial administrator, after whom the city is named in Brisbane Australia ( Largs )
- Robert Burns (1759-1796), Scottish poet ( Alloway )
- John Galt (1779-1839), novelist ( Irvine )
- Thomas Burns (1796-1871), pastor, colonialist in ( Otago ) and co-founder of ( Dunedin )
- James Wilson, Secretary of Agriculture U.S.
- William Gibson Sloan (1838-1914) evangelist ( preacher ), and revival preachers ( Dalry )
- John Dunlop (1840-1921), inventor of the pneumatic tire ( Dreghorn )
- Andrew Fisher (1862-1928), Prime Minister of Australia ( Crosshouse )
- Sir Alexander Fleming (1881-1955), discoverer of penicillin ( Darvel )
- Bill Shankly (1913-1981), successful British football manager ( Glenbuck )
- Jai McDowall (1986 - ) Scottish singer
- Biffy Clyro ( Scottish rock band )
Aberdeenshire | Angus | Argyll | Ayrshire | Banffshire | Berwickshire | Bute | Caithness | Clackmannanshire | Cromartyshire | Dumfriesshire | Dunbartonshire | East Lothian | Fife | Inverness -shire | Lanarkshire | Kincardineshire | Kinross -shire | Kirkcudbrightshire | Midlothian | Morayshire | Nairnshire | Orkney | Peeblesshire | Perthshire | Renfrewshire | Ross -shire | Roxburghshire | Selkirkshire | Shetland | Stirlingshire | Sutherland | West Lothian | Wigtownshire
- Scottish county