Cheshire [ tʃɛʃə ] (formerly County of Chester ) is a ceremonial and traditional county in North West England. The capital city is Chester. Cheshire borders the counties of Merseyside, Greater Manchester, Derbyshire, Staffordshire and Shropshire and the Welsh former county of Clwyd.
Some northern parts of the county are suburbs of Manchester or Liverpool; many of the workers there commute from other parts of the county.
The gardens and parks of the region are involved in the European Garden Heritage Network.
In the Domesday Book of the 11th century Cheshire is recorded as a much larger county than it is today. Its north border was the River Ribble.
1182 was the country north of the River Mersey part of the new county of Lancashire. Other parts of Cheshire later came to Wales.
The reform of 1974, some parts of the county were the new counties of Greater Manchester and Merseyside allocated to the border with Lancashire, in particular the area around Stockport and Birkenhead. At the same time received Cheshire Warrington and the surrounding district back of Lancashire.
Halton and Warrington were 1998 separate administrative units ( Unitary Authority's ), which are independent of Cheshire. In another administrative reform in 2009 further extensive changes have been made as of April 1:
- The districts of Chester, Ellesmere Port and Neston and Vale Royal were summarized to the new unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester.
- The districts of Congleton, Crewe and Nantwich and Macclesfield were summarized to the new unitary authority of Cheshire East.
- The Cheshire County Council was abolished without replacement, so that in the whole of Cheshire now consists of only a single-level administrative subdivision into four unitary authorities.
- Cheshire Cheese ( " Chester cheese " )
- Bentley Motors (luxury car brand, has its headquarters in Crewe (Cheshire ) )
- Mountain Equipment
Cities and towns
- Acton, Alderley Edge, Alsager, Aldford, Astbury, Audlem
- Barnton, Beeston, Bickerton, Bollington, Bucklow Hill, Bunbury, Burton ( Willaston ), Burton ( Taporley )
- Chester, Chelford, Congleton, Crewe, Cheadle
- Daresbury, Disley
- Elworth, Ellesmere Port
- Farndon, Frodsham
- Gawsworth, Great Budworth
- Hale, Haslington, Handforth
- Kelsall, Kerridge, Knutsford
- Langley, Ledsham, Lower Peover
- Macclesfield, Malpas, Marston, Middlewich, Mobberley
- Nantwich, Neston, Northwich
- Ollerton, Parkgate, Peckforton, Poynton, Prestbury, Runcorn
- Sandbach, Siddington, Stretton, Styal, Swettenham
- Tarporley, Tarvin, Tattenhall, Timberbrook
- Wallasey, Warburton, Warrington, Warmingham, Weaverham, Willaston, Wilmslow, Widnes, Winsford, Wybunbury