Enna ( Castrogiovanni until 1927 ) is a city in the Italian region of Sicily and capital of the province of Enna with 27 876 inhabitants ( as at 31 December 2012). The city was called until 1926 Castrogiovanni. It is also called Belvedere (viewpoint ) or due to its strategic central location in the Heart of the navel of Sicily.
Location and data
Enna is situated in the geographical center of Sicily, at an altitude of 968 m slm on a horseshoe-shaped summit of Erei, Monte San Giuliano.
South of Enna is the only natural lake in Sicily, the Lake Pergusa. Around the lake was around 1961 about 5 km long race track built, the Autodromo di Pergusa.
The districts are Enna Bassa, Pergusa, Borgo Cascino and Calderari. The neighboring municipalities are Agira, Aidone, Assoro, Calascibetta, Caltanissetta (CL ), Gangi (PA ), Leon Forte, Piazza Armerina, Pietraperzia, Santa Caterina Villarmosa (CL ), Valguarnera Caropepe and Villa Rosa.
Enna has a rail connection with the railway line Catania - Agrigento. The travel times are to Catania 1 hour 20 minutes, 1 hour 10 minutes to Agrigento and Palermo 2 hours 50 minutes. Enna has connection to the A19 motorway (Palermo- Catania).
Covering an area of 357 km ² live 28 106 inhabitants. Current Mayor of Enna is Rino Agnello, who belongs to the party La Margherita.
Even in prehistoric times, the area was inhabited archaeological findings indicate. Before the Greek settlement lived here Sikanen and Siculi. In the 4th century was Enna of Dionysius and Agathocles, both rulers of Syracuse, conquered.
During the Punic Wars Enna was occupied first by the Carthaginians and the Romans, who called it Castrum Hennae. To 139 BC went from the area around Enna, the first slave war. Only after four years, the Roman army was able to conquer the Criminal residence of the slave leader Eunus.
After the Romans, the Byzantines ruled. In the year 859, the Arabs conquered the city after several years of siege. From them she received the name Qasr Yannah, which was later translated into Italian with Castro Giovanni. In 1088 it was conquered by the Normans. 1314 was Frederick II of Sicily the title of King of Trinacria. From this time, the Castello di Lombardia and the Torre di Federico II come
The important role played by Enna due to the central location, while the Arab and Norman rule, lost in the centuries that followed in importance. Only in 1926 was the town of Castro Giovanni capital of the province and was the ancient name of Enna again. In 2004 the University of Enna, Sicily's fourth university, founded.
Agriculture is the main source of income of residents, focuses on the cattle and the cultivation of fodder crops. More jobs are in the food industry, in the production of building materials and tourism.
Cityscape and monuments
- The Piazza Vittorio Emanuele is the central square of Enna with a monastery and the church of San Francesco. From here the Via Roma branches off the main street of the city.
- The cathedral with magnificent interiors were built from 1307. After a fire in 1446 it was renewed and extended. The Baroque façade built in the late 17th century.
- The Museo Alessi presents the Cathedral, a coin collection and medieval works of art.
- The Castello di Lombardia was one of the largest castles in Sicily. Of the original 20 towers are still standing six. From the platform of Torre Pisan, of the highest tower, one has a view of the Etna massif in the east, the Nebrodes and the Monti Madonie in the north, on Lake Pergusa and on clear days on the Mediterranean in the south.
- The Rocca di Cerere ( Ceres Rock ) is a place of worship on a steep cliff opposite the Castello di Lombardia with the remains of a sacrificial altar. Here was probably the Demeter / Ceres Sanctuary, reports the Cicero in Verrem.
- The Torre di Federico II in City Park is an octagonal tower house of Frederick II, who was formerly connected by an underground walkway to the castle.
- Town hall
- Altar in the cathedral
- Castello di Lombardia
- View from the Castello di Lombardia