Krumbach is a municipality with 987 inhabitants ( as of December 31, 2013) in the Austrian province of Vorarlberg.
- 2.1 The Bregenzerwald embroiderers
- 3.1 Demographics
Krumbach is located in the westernmost province of Austria, Vorarlberg, in the district of Bregenz east of Lake Constance, at 732 m above sea level. A. height. 34% of the area is forested. Krumbach is a neighboring municipality of Langenegg Hittisau Riefensberg, Sulzberg and Doren. The town is a member of the German - Austrian joint project Nagelfluhkette National Park. In Krumbach the casting bridge over the Bolgenach leads.
The community Krumbach borders five other municipalities in the district of Bregenz in Vorarlberg. Clockwise, starting in the north, will be around Krumbach around the communities Sulzberg, Riefensberg Hittisau Langenegg and Doren.
The Habsburgs ruled the areas in Vorarlberg changing of Tyrol and Further Austria from ( Freiburg im Breisgau). From 1805 to 1814, the place was in 1805 as a result of the Peace of Pressburg to the Kingdom of Bavaria, then back to Austria. 1807 came to the so-called " Krumbacher women revolt " against which Karl Ernst von Gravenreuth, Bavarian Commissioner-General of the province of Swabia first went on with great severity, but then sat by the pardon of the rebels.
For the Austrian state of Vorarlberg Krumbach heard since the foundation in 1861. The place was from 1945 to 1955 part of the French zone of occupation in Austria.
The Bregenzerwald embroiderers
Until the mid-18th century, the village chronicle laid the beginnings of embroidery in the Bregenz Forest. Even prior to 1800 held the necklace embroidery about in the community Krumbach catchment and soon became an important source of income: was the monthly salary of an efficient embroiderer about the value of a cow.
Was initially skeptical observed from the 'Employment of crooked and lame " a small local industry and in no house lacked the embroidery machine, which has also been widely described in the seal. The first orders came from the Swiss Rhine Valley, but quickly spread the fame of the "Forests Spitz" in the countries of the monarchy and hotels in Vienna, Budapest and Trieste ordered at the Bregenz forest.
The heyday of the embroidery was in the years after the First World War, in the Golden 20s, brought as overseas buyers huge orders that secured for many months of work and income of most families with many children.
The social reform -minded poet Franz Michael Felder (1839-1869) describes the work of embroiderers in his "Forests Spitz".
The proportion of foreigners at the end of 2002 was 9.1 percent.
The municipal council consists of 12 members. Mayor Arnold is Hirschbühl. The municipality revenue from taxes and other charges in 2001 were at € 848,966, the municipal expenditure at € 2,582,058. The debt was 2001 1.730.184 €.
Culture and sights
In October 2013, the project was BUS: STOP presented: in Krumbach arise seven bus stop shelters ( " Bushüsle "). They were designed by international architecture firm, Smiljan Radic from Chile, DVVT Architecten from Belgium, Rintala Eggertsson Architects from Norway, Alexander Brodsky Russian, Amateur Architecture Studio with Wang Shu and Lu Wenyu from China, Ensamble Studio from Spain and Sou Fujimoto from Japan who received a week's holiday in the area as a fee. The shelters are not based on conventional appearance, but use local materials such as wood or shingles, or go to a local features such as a road crossing, the view or neighboring buildings. A similar project ( BUSSTOPS ) was implemented in the 1990s in Hanover.
Economy and infrastructure
In the village there were in 2003, 25 companies in the industrial sector with 91 employees and 22 apprentices. Taxable wage -employed, there were 404 tourism and tourism are important to the community. In the tourism year 2001/2002 there were a total of 20 492 nights. Agriculture plays an important role. The proportion of agricultural land in the total area is 59.4 %.
In the resort there are (as of January 2003) 62 students. In Krumbach, there is also a kindergarten with 29 children and a public library.