Manzanares el Real

Manzanares el Real is a municipality of the comarca of the Cuenca Alta del Manzanares in the Autonomous Community of Madrid in Spain.

  • 2.1 languages
  • 2.2 religions
  • 3.1 beginnings
  • 3.2 Middle Ages
  • 3.3 Modern Times
  • 4.1 municipal
  • 5.1 Structures 5.1.1 castle
  • 5.1.2 Church of Nuestra Señora de las Nieves


Geographical location

Manzanares is located on the southern flank of the Sierra de Guadarrama in the middle of the biosphere reserve Cuenca Alta del Rio Manzanares and on the banks of the reservoir of Santillana. The Río Manzanares (river) flows through the town.

Expansion of the urban area

In the east-west direction the settlement measures 2.5 km in north-south direction 1.8 km away.

Neighboring communities

To the north is bordered by Manzanares Rascafría, to the east by Soto del Real, on the southeast by Colmenar Viejo ( Madrid metropolitan area ) in the southwest and west by El Boalo and to the northwest by Navacerrada.


The climate is oceanic - continental. Hot, dry summers and cold winters with precipitation. In winter, skiing is possible.


Of the 6,376 registered inhabitants in 2006 were 84.61 %, Spanish citizens. 6.83% were from South and Central America, 4.38% from Europe (EU: 2.68%, other: 1.69% ), 3.76% from Africa, 0.22% from North America and 0.16 % from Asia.

Due to the strong economic growth occurs in the Madrid metropolitan area since the late 1990s to a strong immigration from Spain, the EU, Eastern Europe and the rest of the world.

At the same time benefiting from the city of Manzanares escape. Many people of Madrid have their second home and especially in the summer, the population increases rapidly.


Castilian is the official language and should be mother tongue for 90 % of the population. Because of their origin should the remaining 10% have a different mother tongue and only speak Spanish as a second language.



1987 Bronze Age cave paintings were found in La Pedriza. They are dated to the period 1400-1200 BC. They allow a glimpse into the lifestyle of the former inhabitants of the area that was dominated by agriculture, livestock and probably trade with metals.

Until around the year 1000 BC had druids in the area, reverberate their Druidic rites to this day in the religious celebration for the Virgin of Peña Sacra.

After the Romans had put down uprisings in the area, they established a settlement.

Middle Ages

After the Visigothic and Arab village awoke in 1248 to life. Many Madrilenians attracted during the Reconquista from the taking of Seville and settlers from Segovia took their place.

Through the establishment and expansion to the south of the Segovianer was at this time a conflict between them and the people of Madrid, which was only resolved when King Alfonso X incorporated the area and other controversial communities of the crown and called it " El Real de Manzanares ".

At the end of the 14th century, Juan I. left the area at Don Pedro González de Mendoza. In the subsequent 15th and 16th centuries el Real de Manzanares experienced its heyday.

Modern Times

Manzanares is the cradle of Madrilenian autonomy. 1982, the founding of the Community of Madrid was committed and adopted the Statute of Autonomy in the castle of Manzanares.


Parish council

Culture and sights



Built in 1475 on a Romanesque- Mudejar Hermitage, which can still be visited today, is the fortified palace of Mendoza's the best preserved of the Autonomous Community of Madrid.

The ensemble with large bow window consists of a rectangular courtyard and two galleries on octagonal pillars. The main building has four towers decorated with beads at external corners in Elizabethan style.

The castle houses a museum of Spanish castles and a carpet collection.

Church of Nuestra Señora de las Nieves

The church was probably built in the early 14th century under the first Marquis of Santillana.

Well in the late 15th or early 16th century it was rebuilt and changed the portico of the north side to the south side.


Manzanares is located in the middle of 1992 recognized UNESCO Biosphere Reserve Cuenca Alta del Río Manzanares.