Saint- Nicolas- de-Port is a commune with 7665 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2011 ) in the department of Meurthe -et -Moselle in the Lorraine region. The inhabitants are referred to in French as Portois. The municipality is part of the arrondissement Nancy and is capital of the canton of Saint- Nicolas- de-Port.

  • 3.1 Regular events


Saint -Nicolas -de- Port is located on the left bank of the Meurthe, opposite Varangéville. On the road D400 is 13 miles to Nancy and 18 miles to Luneville. Through traffic flows mainly via the A33 motorway. The Rhine - Marne Canal passes by Saint- Nicolas- de-Port.


In Roman times the place was simply called Portus ( port) and its surroundings Pagus portensis. Until the 11th century it became Old French port. In 1093 the first church was built, in which a relic of St. Nicholas was venerated. This relic, a phalanx of the blessing hand of the saint, the Crusaders Aubert de Varangéville had brought in 1090 from Bari, where recently the remains of St. Nicholas were kept. The place was now called Saint -Nicolas -de- Myre.

Because of the great pilgrimage Andrangs emerged from 1193 a second, larger church. In this Joan of Arc is said to have prayed in 1429, before she saved France. Today's late-Gothic basilica was built from 1481 by Simon Moycet on behalf of Duke René II of Lorraine and inaugurated in 1560. Supposedly, the Duke thereby fulfilled a vow which he had in 1477 given at prayer, should he beat the enemy Burgundy - what then happened.

In the Thirty Years' War, Saint- Nicolas- de-Port was born on November 5, 1635 largely destroyed by the Swedes.

Received its current name Saint- Nicolas- de-Port on April 2, 1961 before the place had the name of Saint- Nicolas.



The Basilica of St. Nicolas du Port has a late Gothic Flamboyant style and has impressive dimensions: the nave has a height of 32 m, the columns are 28 m and the highest in France, the towers rise 85 and 87 m in the height. The Basilica houses a relic of St. Nicholas of Myra and was in the Middle Ages an important pilgrimage destination.

The current building replaced a become too small due to the increasing number of pilgrims predecessor. Its construction goes back to René II, Duke of Lorraine, who expressed his gratitude for his victory over Charles the Bold at the Battle of Nancy (1477 ) expressed this way. Construction began in 1481 and was completed in 1544, with the exception of the towers, which were built from 1550 to 1560. On the decoration work, among other things, the sculptor Jacques Bachot was involved, who is considered one of the greatest sculptors of the late Gothic period in this region.

Ecclesiastical it has the status of a minor Basilica.

Also worth seeing are:

  • The French brewery museum ( Musée français de la brasserie).
  • Cinema and Photography Museum (Le musée du cinéma et de la photographie ).

Regular events

The highlight of the church life is the St. Nicholas festival which is celebrated every year on the Saturday, which is 6 December next. The festivities begin with a parade. Local clubs draw with Advent decorated floats through the city and are accompanied by marching music clubs. Here, candies, info Frequently famous for the region bergamot lozenges, thrown into the audience. Shortly after nightfall, there will be a fireworks display. The highlight of the day is the procession of lights Saint -Nicolas in the basilica. While about two hours, the church honors by a special liturgy and light processions within the church to the patron saint of the city and all of Lorraine.

In honor of St. Nicholas is also on Whit Monday a church service followed by a parade through the town instead. On Pfingwochende is also " Messdi ", a fairground.

Community partnership

The municipality is twinned since 1985 with the German community Dielheim in Baden -Württemberg.