Illats is a commune with 1304 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011) in the Gironde department in the region of Aquitaine. It belongs to the district Langon and Canton Podensac.
Illats is the Guyenne in the wine region Graves at an average height of 32 meters above the sea 32 km south-east of Bordeaux, the capital of the Aquitaine region, 6.2 km south-west of Podensac, the capital of the canton and about 6 kilometers west of the Garonne. The village is surrounded by the neighboring communities Pujols -sur- Ciron, Barsac and Landiras. The municipality has an area of 29.24 square kilometers.
In Gallo -Roman period (52 BC to 486 AD), led the Via Aquitania through the 5 kilometers north of Illats lying community Cérons ( Sirio ). The road from the north-west Barsac after Illats was called in the 17th century " Gallic way." Nevertheless, it is unlikely that the village name comes from Gallo-Roman times. Ernest Nègre assumes in its toponymy générale de la France, that it is a Gascon place name is derived from ilhac (, lilac ').
The part of Illats which lies south of the creek Gargalle, was under the ancien régime to the jurisdiction of Landiras, the northern part was under Podensac. In addition Illats belonged to Sénéchaussée of Bordeaux.
1793 Illats received the status of a municipality in the wake of the French Revolution ( 1789-1799 ). 1801 was the municipality under the name Iltatz by the administrative reform in the reign of Napoleon Bonaparte ( 1769-1821) the right to local self-government. Most inhabitants of the municipality had 1851 (1710), the least in 1946 ( 929 ).
Culture and sights
The parish church of Saint -Laurent was built in the late 11th or early 12th century. The nave and the entrance date from the 12th or 13th century. The south transept was built in the 17th century, northern in the 18th century. The building is listed in the additional list of Monuments historiques ( historical monuments ').
The mansion Château de Cage was built in the 14th century. From that time, however, only a single tower remains in the garden. The tower was originally formed part of a defensive wall. In the 16th century the manor house was enlarged in the 18th century, the residential building was rebuilt. The outbuildings have been destroyed in the 19th century. The Château de Cage is now in private ownership.