Coat of arms
The name Vuitinchova ( by analogy to the "Royal Court of Vito ") indicates that this farm had been established in the time of the second wave of immigration and final branch of the Alemanni in the first half of the 7th century. Previously lived, let as assume excavations, including the Celts and the Romans in this area.
The first recording to the site is from 946 A decision of 28 April 946 to divide the church tithes between Felix and Regula ( Canons Grossmünsterplatz ) and St. Peter (city church) summoned that the tithe from " Vuitinchova " had to be made to the Monastery.
Witikon, now the easternmost district of the city, was incorporated in 1934 along with Albisrieden Altstetten, Hoengg, Oerlikon, Affoltern, Seebach and Schwamendingenstrasse one of the last villages. Important reasons for the incorporation were debt and poor infrastructure (schools and transport).
Because of its location on the slope of Adlisbergs gives a view of Lake Zurich and the Limmat valley located in the city. In the wall of the Old Church Witikon plug end cannonballs evidence of Austrian troops, who had barricaded themselves in the church and were fired upon by the French artillery.
An example of modern religious architecture is the Catholic Church " Maria crowning " of the architect Justus Dahinden. The floor plan is modeled on the hand with a ship each finger. The walls are striving like a tent in the height, which is amplified by the lining with long wooden boards. The adjacent St. Paul Academy has a great importance in the Catholic Switzerland. Also, by Justus Dahinden is the bull house from 1982 on Kienastenwiesweg. The sculptures on the Taurus house come from the Swiss artist Bruno Weber.
In Witikon there are three churches: the Evangelical Reformed Church has two churches:
- The Old Church Witikon, which was first mentioned as the St. Otmar chapel dedicated in 1270. The Old Church Witikon stands on a hill 629 m above sea level on and thus is the highest church in the city of Zurich.
- The New Church Witikon was built between 1955-1957 by the architect Theodor Laubi, miles. The New Church Witikon has been designed as a hexagonal building with free-standing bell-tower. It has a Metzler organ from 1957.
The Roman Catholic Church is represented in Witikon with the parish Maria coronation:
- The church Mary coronation was built between 1963-1965 by the architect Justus Dahinden. Mary is crowned by the church of All Saints ( Zurich - Neuaffoltern ) the second Catholic church to be built the city of Zurich, in which the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy of the Second Vatican Council was implemented.