Bad Karlshafen

Bad Karlshafen ( Low German: Korlshoawen ) is a spa town in the district of Kassel, in the extreme north of Hessen ( Germany ), which covers 14.85 km ². 3,778 inhabitants live in Bad Karlshafen, including 2,300 in the district of Bad Karl port and 1,600 in the three kilometers south district Helmarshausen ( health resort, separate municipality until 1972).

Since 1977, Karl port named Bad Karl harbor and is advertised as Soleheilbad and Baroque city. The town is a nationally recognized health resort.

  • 3.1 Mayor
  • 3.2 City Council
  • 3.3 Coat of Arms
  • 3.4 Town twinning
  • 4.1 Healthcare
  • 4.2 traffic 4.2.1 roads
  • 4.2.2 bicycle traffic
  • 4.2.3 Railway
  • 4.2.4 Ship Operation
  • 5.1 Museums ( Karl 's Bad port)
  • 5.2 Leisure and Health
  • 5.3 Weser -Therme
  • 6.1 freeman
  • 6.2 Sons and daughters of the town
  • 6.3 Other personalities


Geographical location

Bad Karl port is located on the northern border of North Hesse near the located at the northwest of the city located directly Hanover cliffs triangle Hesse Lower Saxony North Rhine -Westphalia between the Solling the north and the Reinhard Forest in the south. It spreads directly to the 95.6 m above sea level. NN lying mouth of coming from the south Diemel in the coming from the east flowing river Weser from. Southwest at the level of confluence are the Hessian cliffs.

Neighboring communities

Bad Karl harbor is bordered to the north by the unincorporated area Solling, on the northeast by the stains ground field (both in the district of Northeim, in Lower Saxony), to the east by the unincorporated area Gutsbezirk Reinhard Forest, in the south on the town Trendelburg (both in the Kassel district ) and in the west to the city of Beverungen ( circle Hoexter North Rhine -Westphalia).


Today 's Bad Karl port was founded in 1699 as Sieburg ( Syburg ) of Landgrave Charles of Hesse- Kassel as Exulant for the settlement of Huguenots, Protestant religious refugees from France. The name was derived from the 274 m high elevation Sieburg in the northern Reinhardswald. Landgrave Karl ordered the construction of a new factory and trading town, and his engineer and architect Friedrich Conradi began planning to do so. In connection with the ambitious plans to dig the Landgrave Carl- channel Landgraf wanted tariffs ( staple right ) of Hann Munden deal and let build a new waterway to the residence town of Kassel. However, these plans could only be partially realized, as well as the further expansion plans for the city of Port Charles. 1717, the site by the court architect Paul du Ry was renamed Carl Haven. The first inhabitants of the new baroque city were Huguenots and Waldenses.

The historically much older place, the former city Helmarshausen, since August 1, 1972, a district of Bad Karlshofen. Above the baroque old town on the other side of the Weser is the garden city, built later, in order to create additional living space. 1704 invalids house was built. It served until 1918, the lifelong housing and care of disabled Hessian soldiers and their families.

In 1730 were discovered by the Huguenot chemist Jacques Galland brine sources. 1763 was a saline consisting of pumping station and three Gradierwerken constructed. It began trading in salt, followed by the construction of a bathing and health resorts. In 1935, the renaming of Carlshafen in Port Charles since 1977 and bears the name Karl harbor bath Karl harbor.

On 16-17. July 1965 addressed the so-called Heinrich flood in the Baroque Old Town of severe devastation.

Population Development



In the direct mayoral election on 10 April 2005, the CDU candidate and later non-party Ulrich Otto was elected with 62.94 percent, and sat down with it than competitor Rolf Schließmann (SPD ) by. Also in the mayoral election of 2011, the nonpartisan Otto sat with 78.32 percent compared to the single challenger Rainer Rettinger (SPD ) with 21.68 per cent by.

City Council

The municipal election held 27 March 2011 yielded the following results:

Coat of arms

The coat of arms was approved on March 22, 1974 by the Hessian Ministry of the Interior.

Blazon: " Divided by a silver battlements of blue and green shield above shows the growing Hessian lion, down a rising golden sun. "


Bad Karlshafen maintains partnership relations with

  • 's- Gravenzande in the Netherlands since 1961 and
  • Bad Suderode in Saxony -Anhalt since 1990.

Economy and infrastructure

Health service

  • District hospital Helmarshausen, belongs to the district clinics Kassel GmbH, a subsidiary of Community Health North Hesse Holding AG
  • Carolinum - Dr. Ebel clinic specializing in orthopedics, neurology, geriatrics and rehabilitation


Bad Karl port is an endpoint of the federal highway 80 to Halle (Saale ), which opens in the place in the B 83. The nearest port to the Federal Highway 7 is in the Hann about 40 km away. Munden, a similar distance to the closest ramp to the A44 with access to the airport Paderborn -Lippstadt.

Bicycle traffic

The Hessian cycle routes R1 ( Fulda Cycle Route ) and the Hessian Radfernweg R4 Hirschhorn end in Bad Karl harbor. In addition, there is the river Weser ( R99 ) of Hann. Munden to Cuxhaven, the Diemel cycle path from Usseln to Bad Karl port and the D- Route 9 (Weser - Romantic Road ).


The 27.92 km long section of the Carl train from Grebestein about Hümme to Bad Karl harbor, which was opened on March 30, 1848 with the name Carl railway, was the first railway in the Electorate of Hesse and led from Bad Karlshafen left bank (left bank of the Weser ) on Hümme to Kassel. Passenger traffic to Hümme was set in 1966, as the carriage of goods between Trendelburg and bathroom Karl harbor. This line was closed permanently to Hümme in 1986.

Until the closure of Carl web, the town had two railway stations, then only remained right bank of the station Bad Karl harbor. The Solling there running train on the track Ottbergen - field ground - Northeim is operated by DB Regio every two hours by regional train. The track had no track connection with the former Carl web. Under the single-track deconstruction of the Solling Railway in the 1990s, the station to an unoccupied breakpoint.

The city is in the northern Hesse Transport Association. The station is located in the network area isolated between the two railway stations in Lower Saxony Bodenfelde and Lauenfoerde - Beverungen, so that applied to this section of the tariff of the VSN. Towards NRW also applies the " high pin - Tariff" ( Nahverkehrsverbund Paderborn- Hoexter ) and the NRW - tariff.

Ship Operation

From April to October are offered with Weser line ships sailing to and Hoexter Oedelsheim. Providers are the companies fleet Weser and the Weser - ship line 2000.

Culture and sights

The baroque city system with symmetrical streets is obtained impressive in many areas. As the main building makes itself, right on the harbor, the former packing house (now the Town Hall) with a mighty hipped roof and central roof riders noticeable; It was built in 1715-1718 and also served the Landgrave on visits as a representative property. Here the once began to Marburg planned but only until shortly before Hümme built Landgraf Carl - channel, of which some relics can still be found.

West on Bad Karlshafen rises on a cliff of the Hessian the monument Huguenots tower ( about 190 m above sea level. NN ), which is used as a popular hiking destination and from which you had a good view of the city.

Also west Karl port is the high level of Sieburg, a prehistoric ring wall, which is with its dimensions a, in the region of Northern Hesse, unprecedented image of a natural and artificial ramparts. In the southern part, which is limited neither by the Diemel, nor of the Weser, the plateau has a connection to the surrounding country. There are two section ramparts and trenches at this point. The inner wall extends approximately an East-West line from a steep slope to the other and has a length of 550 m; at the east end he is apparently only of stones and has a 4 m wide gap that could have served as a gateway. The volume summarizes a space that is more than 1 km ². The outer wall has relative to the inner only a length of 250 m.

Not far down Weser and thus west of the city project already in the city of Beverungen (NRW) on the right bank of the river the Hanoverian cliffs of wooded slopes on a group of seven to 75 m high sandstone pillars. On one of them is the observation deck Weser Skywalk.

By Karl port of Ecopfad archeology Sieburg leads above the Diemel through the northernmost part of the Reinhard Forest to the ramparts Sieburg. Deficiency findings could not be a temporal determination of the age of the visible walls so far.

Museums ( Karl 's Bad port)

Founded in 1989 German Huguenot Museum Bad Karl port is located in an old cigar factory in the old town and deals with the history of the Huguenots in France and Germany. The first inhabitants of Bad Karlshofen were Huguenots, who were expelled because of their Protestant faith from France. The museum was extended in 2006 and is also a genealogical research center and city archives, and has an exhibition area of ​​500 m².

Leisure and Health

Bad Karl harbor is a popular place for water hikers on the Weser River and offers many opportunities for hiking. There is a campground and a mini golf course, both directly at the Weser.

As spa town of Bad Karlshofen offers a modern spa center and a newly built 1986 graduation.

Weser -Therme

For around 20 million euros a new thermal spa in the city was built at the spa, which opened on 18 December 2004. The hot spring spa water here has a salt content of 23 percent and is obtained from a depth of 1150 m. The bathroom was first called Kristalltherme Weser mountain country and belonged to the crystal baths Group. After a legal dispute duration, in which the operator was held back under the management of Heinz Steinhart contractual lease payments, the city of Bad Karlshafen impacted until 2009 with around 12.2 million euros. After comparing in August 2009 and the signing of a transfer agreement, the Town Bad Karlshafen took over from 1 October 2009 with the subsidiary Bäderbetriebe Weser Uplands GmbH even further operation than Weser -Therme.



  • Carl Schaumburg, mayor, honorary citizen on June 23, 1833
  • Ferdinand Calckhof law officer, honorary citizen on November 12, 1860
  • Wilhelm Koch, Praktikular from Kassel, honorary citizen on June 28, 1662
  • Johann Friedrich Kuhlenkamp from Bremen, Honorary Citizen from January 19, 1882
  • Davin Joseph from Bremen, honorary citizen on April 29, 1913
  • Reinhold love maid, bandmaster, honorary citizen on July 12, 1957
  • Conrad Bönning, honorary citizen on November 14, 1970
  • Emma Staubesand, honorary citizen on October 7, 1982

Sons and daughters of the town

  • Suchier Hermann (1848-1914), Romance
  • Georg Zülch (1870-1942), lawyer and politician ( DNVP )
  • Hugues Wilhelm (1905-1971), sculptor and painter
  • Harry Oberlander ( born 1950 ), poet
  • Mirja Regensburg ( born 1975 ), actress and comedienne
  • Andreas Thiele (* 1980), actor
  • Sebastian shafts ( born 1984 ), football player

Other personalities

  • Erich Wenneker, pastor and leader of the Huguenot Library in the German Huguenot center
  • Herbert Mager, painter
  • Daniel Fawcett Tiemann ( born January 9, 1805 in New York; † June 29, 1899 ibid ). The son of the emigrant from Karl harbor images painter and later industrialist Johann Anton Tiemann ( born November 11, 1778 in Carlshafen ) was from 1858 to 1860 mayor of New York.


The harbor basin and its surroundings served in 1976 as the location and setting for parts of the film The Winter, who was a summer.

Pictures of Bad Karlshafen