History Portal | Portal Biographies | Current Events | Calendar years
Heads of State
Year of the Water Tiger壬寅( at the beginning of the year metal buffalo辛丑)
Syria: 1553/54 ( the year in October )
Politics and World Affairs
- April 5: Alexander Nevsky defeated on the frozen Lake Peipus the Teutonic Order. The Battle on the Ice of the Russian prince prevents penetration of the Order to Novgorod and the catholicization Russia.
- JULY 21: Louis IX. of France defeated Henry III. of England at the Battle of Taillebourg.
- The king of Croatia and Hungary, Béla IV, gives the residents of Gradec ( Zagreb) Bulla Aurea.
- Armenia is occupied by the Mongols.
- Frederick II appointed Heinrich Raspe and Wenceslas I of Bohemia to Reichsgubernatoren for his son Conrad IV.
- 1242/1243: Heinrich Raspe appoints Henry, the son of his step-sister Jutta successor ( after his death) as Landgrave of Thuringia (see Wettin ).
- Beginning of the first Prußenaufstands with the support of Duke Swantopolk II of Pomerania against the Teutonic Order ( to 1249 ).
City foundations and Ersturkundliche mentions
- First mention of Buhl ( now part of Offenburg ), Elgersweier, Galmiz, Griesheim, United Vahlberg, Hausen am Albis, High Town, Leissigen, Moosseedorf, Schmitten, Hüsingen, Rammersweier, Tangstedt and Vahlberg.
- Grenoble, Kiel, Kleve, Linz am Rhein and Eversberg received a city charter; Lienz ( East Tyrol) is first mentioned as a city.
- Founding of the city Loitz by Detlev von Ritter Gadebusch
Science and Technology
- Roger Bacon discloses the preparation of gunpowder.
- Elger of Hohenstein, founder of the Dominican convents in Erfurt ( 1229 ) and Eisenach ( 1236 ), is buried in Eisenach Convention.
- JUNE 24: Christina Stommeln, mystic († 1312)
- Beatrice of Castile, Queen of Portugal ( † 1303)
- Louis IV of Wangenheim, lord of Eckhart of Hochheim († 1299 )
- Margaret of Hungary, Dominican, daughter of Béla IV of Hungary, niece of St.. Elisabeth ( † 1270)
- After 1242: Agnes of Silesia - Liegnitz, second wife of Ulrich I., the founder, Count of Württemberg ( † 1265 )
- MARCH 28: Theodoric von Wied, Archbishop of Trier ( * 1170 )
- MAY 28: Guillaume Arnaud, Inquisitor of Toulouse
- 07 October: Juntoku, 84th emperor of Japan (* 1197 )
- October 14: Elger Count of Hohenstein (see religion) in Frankfurt Dominican Convent ( * before 1184 )
- Chagatai Khan, founder of the Chagatai Khanate (c. 1186 )
- To 1242: Enguerrand III. de Coucy, Lord of Coucy (* 1182 )