Casale Monferrato ( Piedmontese Casal, in the local dialect CASA ) is a municipality with 34 597 (as of 31 December 2012) inhabitants in the province of Alessandria (AL ), Region Piedmont.
The municipality comprises the villages of Casale del Popolo Rolasco, Roncaglia, San Germano, Santa Maria del Tempio, Terra Nova and Vialarda. The neighboring municipalities are Balzola, Borgo San Martino, Camagna Monferrato, Candia Lomellina, Coniolo, Conzano, Frassineto Po Morano sul Po, Motta de 'Conti, Occimiano, Ozzano Monferrato, Pontestura, Rosignano Monferrato, San Giorgio Monferrato, Terruggia and Villanova Monferrato. The patron saint of the place is Sant'Evasio.
The village lies on the right bank of the Po at an altitude of 116 m above sea level, surrounded by the hills of Monferrato. The municipality covers an area of 86.32 km ².
The Bishop of Asti, Sant'Evasio, called the small village of Casale ( after the Italian word for country house). The first written mention of the name dates back to the year 988
After Charlemagne had the village to the church of Vercelli paid, they gained their freedom under the rule of Frederick Barbarossa. In 1215, she was successively plundered by the troops of Vercelli, Alessandria and Milan, built up again five years later and secured. As of 1305, the city was dominated by the Palaiologos, in 1474 became the settlement of the town charter in 1559 and came under the rule of the Gonzaga of Mantua, who made it to the fort. From 1681 to 1695 Casale belonged to France, which was strengthened by Vauban fortress of modern Italy. Thus secured, the city resisted the attack Austria -Hungary in 1849.
Towards the end of the 19th century, the city capitale del cemento as ( capital of cement) was known, as this has been obtained in the surrounding hills. To date, the cement is an important industry; there was also a great place in Eternit factory, which was closed due to the severe environmental damage. The company Buzzi Unicem is headquartered in Casale Monferrato.
In addition, the rice cultivation and the cultivation of wine important economic factors. In Casale Monferrato vines of Barbera for the Barbera d'Asti, a red wine are grown with DOCG status.
In Casale Monferrato leads in a north-south direction over the A26 are within easy reach of the Vercelli and Alessandria in the north to the south and there running more highways. Several highways connect Casale with the places in the vicinity, as well as Turin and Milan. Casale is near railroad tracks Mortara Asti, Casale Monferrato and Vercelli - Chivasso - Valenza. The city has a small airfield for general aviation. The nearest airports are Turin, Genoa and Milan Malpensa.
Architecture and Art
The city is rich in cultural characteristics. These are the Romanesque cathedral Sant'Evasio, original, completely rebuilt from the year 742 in the 12th century. In 1706 it was modified at a restoration, but set back in the 19th century in its medieval state. At Renaissance buildings, the Church of San Domenico and some palaces are mentioned. The Monastery of San Chiara in the town center is home to images of Il Moncalvo.
The castle ( castello dei Paleologo ) is built as a military building of the 15th century with a hexagonal floor plan. Dating back to 1595, the synagogue of the city, it is one of the most beautiful in Europe.
In the 16th and 17th centuries Casale was a center of Italian music. Many composers of the time worked in the town, among them Jean Mouton, Andreas de Silva and Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina. In the 17th and 18th centuries found operatic premieres by Giulio Cesare Monteverdi, Pietro Alessandro Guglielmi, and Pasquale Anfossi place in Casale.