The city is located about four kilometers north of the Moscow ring road. West of the village, the Moscow - Volga Canal pulls along, on the eastern outskirts extend the road to Dmitrov and a regional train line ( " elektrichka "), which here has the breakpoints Dolgoprudnaja, Nowodatschnaja and Wodniki. From Moscow Savyolovsky station until after Dolgoprudny is about 16 km. West of the city, on the grounds of the former estate Winogradowo, the Langen features ponds, Russian Dolgije prudy that ultimately gave the city its name.
Until the early 1930s were on the later city area only a few small settlements, including the estate Winogradowo that had belonged to the early 17th century Gavrila Pushkin, an ancestor of the poet Alexander Pushkin.
Between 1900 and 1902 the railway line Moscow - Sawjolowo was near the Great built, also built on the banks of the "Long Ponds " a Datschensiedlung.
The impetus for the development of the city was, however, only the establishment of a plant for the construction of airships in 1931. During the same year a start was made for those who work a housing development build, which initially consisted of one-and two -story wooden barracks without all the comforts. The settlement developed quickly and got in 1935 the status of a so-called workers' settlement. After the name of the air shipyard she was named " Dirischablestroi " (Cyrillic Дирижаблестрой to German as " airships ").
Among the specialists involved in the development of the air shipyard owned by the Italian engineer and aviation pioneer Umberto Nobile, whose commitment of President Joseph Stalin himself had been approved. 2004 was an airship hangar of 1934 exists, albeit in a dilapidated condition. Your roof had collapsed in March 2001 under the snow load.
In the second half of the 1930s the city was the character of a pioneer settlement slowly behind. It water pipes were laid, built a sewage system, and it emerged multi-storey houses made of brick. In the city center, a representative culture palace was built in the style of Stalinist neoclassicism.
1937, the year of the opening of the nearby Moscow -Volga Canal, further large-scale farms were located in the vicinity of the settlement. At the present north end of town, a ship repair base was established in the Moscow fleet should be serviced. In part, the company used the barracks, which had been built for the forced laborers employed on sewer construction.
Another company that was established in connection with the sewer construction was a natural stone work, which should provide the granite elements for the cladding of the elaborately designed locks and quays of the new channel. However, it also supplied materials for many other large construction sites, for example, for the Moscow Metro and the waterfronts on the Moskva River.
End of the thirties, the production of airships was gradually adjusted and renamed the settlement in Dolgoprudny. On the basis of the former airship work an armaments factory, the first aircraft was built, and later missiles produced ( now called OAO " DNPP "). The former gas works, which had been built for the filling of the airships, showed a chemical plant. 1939 Dolgoprudny about 8000 inhabitants.
During the Second World War, much of the industrial enterprises Dolgoprudnys was evacuated to the Urals, the other companies presented their production to armaments. The German troops drew near to the village to a few kilometers. To a capture of the city by the Wehrmacht but it never came.
After the Second World War, the rapid growth of the city continued. Other industries emerged and the Moscow Physical and Technical Institute was opened, which rose to one of the leading technical universities in the USSR soon. Among the members of the Institute included the very Pyotr Leonidovich Kapitsa Nobel laureate in physics. 1959 had already Dolgoprudny 25,000 inhabitants.
Since 1969 high, nine - and sixteen -story apartment blocks were built in the city that characterize today's face of the city.
In Dolgoprudny a variety of industrial companies is established, including a chemical plant, the defense contractor OAO DNPP and building materials producer OAO MKK. The city is also the seat of the charge of the Moscow Oblast public transportation company Mostransawto.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Elina Swerawa ( b. 1960 ), a discus thrower