After Serpukhov the geological stage Serpukhovian is named.
The city, which has been in existence since the 14th century, was extended in the 16th century to the fortress to protect Moscow from the south. Even while standing on the Ugra, the city was a base of the army of Muscovy under Grand Prince Ivan III. been. After growth of the Russian Empire to the south, it developed into a trade center and a religious center. The textile industry continued in the 19th century collection. In the period of the Soviet Union, the industry expanded, (eg, the temporary car manufacturers SeAZ ), includes furniture and clothing manufacture, among other engineering today.
Former trading house
The city has several schools and educational institutions. It lies on the Russian highway M 2, which runs from Moscow to Kharkov, and at the annularly extending around Moscow A 108 Moreover, Serpukhov has a station on the railway line Moscow - Kursk.
Named after Serpukhov is also sometimes called the 15- km from Serpukhov located in Protwino Institute of High Energy Physics ( IHEP ).
Sons and daughters of the town
- Viktor Grishin (1914-1992), politician
- Stanisław Leśniewski (1886-1939), logician and philosopher
- Stepan Levitsky (1876-1924), chess player
- Oleg Menshikov (* 1960), actor
- Valentin Muratov (1928-2006), Turner
- Viktor Prschijalkowski (* 1930 ), Computer Engineering