Hiiu is a municipality (Estonian asum ) of the Estonian capital Tallinn. The district is located in the Nõmme district.


The municipality has 3,897 inhabitants today (as of 1 May 2010). Its area is 2.5 square kilometers.

The name of the district derives from the Estonian island of Hiiumaa ( German Dagö ). First settlers of the original forest area was composed of Hiiumaa derived Andrus Bork, who went as a builder after Nõmme. He built a wooden house in 1886. This he brought the inscription Hioküla as a sign of its origin. Even when enlarged the settlement, the name Hiiuküla remained.

With the narrow gauge railway in 1913 Hiiu was connected to the Estonian railway network. In the same year the station of Hiiu was inaugurated. He was at the end of the First World War, one of the largest narrow gauge railway stations in the world.

At the major transportation hub of the district grew rapidly. The architect Ernst Kühnert and Robert Natus developed 1925/26, a general plan for the development of the Garden City Nõmme, the Hiiu as its center foresaw.

Castle Hohen main

End of the 19th century, the Baltic German nobleman Nikolai Glehn of a castle-like manor, the " Hohen main " (Estonian Mustamae mõis ) build. It is popularly known as " Glehn'sches Castle " ( Glehni loss) called. The building with its gardens and parks added in harmoniously with the adjacent woodland. Parts of the forest were cleared in the 1920s and 1930s in favor of new residential areas.

The 1886 finished building is two storeys. It deliberately evokes a medieval castle. 1900-1910 the Palm House was completed in 1910 the imposing tower. The "castle" was destroyed at the end of World War I, built in the 1970s, but again. From 1977 she served as a student house Tallinn University of Technology ( TTÜ ). Today in the building cultural events, conferences and seminars are held. Since 1997 it is a listed building.

St. John's church

The Orthodox St. John's Church of Hiiu was completed in 1923. The terrain had given the German Baltic nobility of Glehn the community. The architect was Aleksandr Vladovski ( 1876-1950 ). The church was in the interwar period, a mixed -language church on three Sundays of worship found in Russian held on a Sunday in the Estonian language. Today it is purely Russian-speaking. After regaining the country's independence, the building was restored.