The Regional District of West Attica (Greek Periferiaki Enotita Dytikis Attiki ) is one of seven regional districts of the Greek region of Attica. From 1972 to 2010, the territory formed one of the four districts Prefecture ( Nomarchies ) of the prefecture and later Attica region, the de facto the other self-administered prefectures ( Nomi) equalized. It was created by the division of the prefecture of Attica in four districts in 1972 and abolished with the administrative reform in 2010. The Regional District of West Attica sends four deputies sent in the Attic Regional Council, has also but no political significance.
West Attica extends between the Isthmus of Corinth and the greater Athens - Piraeus on the north coast of the Saronic Gulf and the east coast of the Gulf of Alkyoniden, the eastern edge of the Gulf of Corinth. The largest part corresponds to the ancient landscape and former modern province Megaris, the three eastern towns were formerly attributed to the province of Attica. In the West, West Attica is adjacent to the Regional District Corinthia, to the north by Boeotia and on the east by the regional districts East Attica and Athens - West region of Attica. The densely located on the coast of Salamis Island is owned by the Regional District of islands.
The east to the capital Elefsina today forms the industrial nature Thriasische level ( Θριάσιο Πεδίο ), the rest of the terrain is mountainous and forms to the west ( Gerania, 1351 m) and north ( Kitheronas, 1410 m and Parnitha, 1413 m) is a natural limit to neighboring regions. About 40 percent of the area is forested, about 20 percent is arable land.
Population and history
Even in ancient times took West Attica as a connection between Athens and the cities of the Peloponnese an important strategic location a. Important settlement centers were the ancient Megara and the famous by the total Greek major mysteries Eleusis.
Since the 14th century, the area was characterized by the immigration of Arvanites, in the 20th century migrated mainly Greeks from the Peloponnese, from Crete, Epirus, Asia Minor and of the Russian Black Sea coast, and the population grew by leaps and bounds. At the turn of the 20th century the industrialization of Elefsina, especially cement and steel production, oil refineries, shipyards and munitions factories began.
The prefecture district was represented by a 31-member Präfekturrat. In the 2006 elections, the socialist PASOK reached with 19 seats, an absolute majority, further accounted for nine seats on the conservative New Democracy party, two representatives of the communist KKE and one on the left environmental movement Synaspismos. Prefect is Aristidis Arkoudaris ( Αριστείδης Αρκουδάρης ), PASOK.
Economy and infrastructure
Of the approximately 150,000 inhabitants today approximately 37% in the industrial sector, 18% in construction and 9.5% each in agriculture and trade. The four communities in the Thriasian level accommodate approximately 46.1 % of the population of the prefecture.
Since 2004, the prefectural government increased its efforts to - especially within Greece - Tourism as an economic factor and promotes the natural beauty of the mountain and the beaches of the Saronic and Corinthian Gulf.
On the air and maritime transport, the prefecture is connected through the Athens airport and the port of Piraeus. On the coast also runs the Greek Highway 8, which connects Athens with Patras. A standard gauge railway line through West Attica on the configured for fast traffic PATHE axis ( Patras -Athens- Thessaloniki - Idomeni ) of the Greek railway company was completed at the beginning of the 21st century.