Hoorn ( listen / i?) ( West Frisian: Hoorn ) is a Dutch town in the eastern province of North Holland, in the region of West - Frisia. In the municipality of 71 387 people live (as of 1 January 2013) on an area of approximately 52 km ². Of these, around 33 km ² water. The places Blokker and Zwaag also belong to the municipality of Hoorn.
Hoorn was born in the 12th century. The name " Horn " means cape, promontory. Hoorn is actually on a peninsula in the IJsselmeer. Older forms of the name are " Hoern " or " Hoirne ". In addition, multiple derivations of the name as the stepson of King Hornus Radbod, the horn-like shape of the first port in the city or a notice board exist with a post horn (see Arms) on a building on Roode Steen in the 14th century.
After the founding of the Dutch East India Company in 1602, which had one seat in Hoorn, Hoorn grew into a port of international importance. Many navigators and explorers came from Hoorn, such as the Dutch explorer Willem Cornelisz Schouten and Jacob Le Maire.
The city has many historical monuments. Mentioned are some churches (such as the Oosterkerk ), the town hall, the balance of 1609, a city gate and many buildings from the 17th and 18th centuries.
Hoorn is a popular excursion harbor in the southern part of the IJsselmeer. There are rail connections to Amsterdam, Alkmaar and Enkhuizen and a museum railway to Medemblik ( Museum Hoorn - Medemblik ). In the summer hit by a steam locomotive hauled trains.
There are also several museums such as the " Museum van de 20e eeuw " ( Museum of the 20th century ) and ' Westfriesmuseum ' ( Museum of West Friesland).
There is also a steam tramway museum. The prison and Arms Museum, the Hoofdtoren ( main tower in the harbor ), the Oosterpoort ( East Gate ), and the cheese scale.
Sons and daughters of the town
- January Folkertsz Trypmaker (14 ** -1531 ), Baptist
- Jan Pieterszoon Coen (1587-1629), Governor-General of Dutch East Indies
- Willem Cornelisz Schouten (1580-1625), sailor
- Maarten Houttuyn (1720-1798), physician and naturalist
- Gerard Boedijn (1893-1972), composer and teacher
- Bart J. Bok (1906-1983), American astronomer
- Simone van der Vlugt (born 1966 ), writer
- Ronald de Boer ( born 1970 ), football player
- Frank de Boer ( born 1970 ), football player
- Dimitri Reinderman ( b. 1972 ), chess grandmaster
- Marja Vis ( born 1977 ), speed skater
- Vera Koedooder ( b. 1983 ), cyclist
- Adrie Visser ( b. 1983 ), cyclist
- Willemijn Karsten (* 1986), handball
- Pim Ligthart (* 1988), cyclists
- Yesna Rijkhoff (* 1992), Track Cycling activist