Lana, South Tyrol
Lana ( Lana also Italian ) is the seventh largest municipality in South Tyrol. Situated in the southern angle of the Merano basin, accompanied the elongated village of Lana (300 m slm ) the edge of the Etschtalebene. In the highlands, the fraction Foiana located (700 m asl ), on the southern slope of the mountain Vigiljoches fraction Pawigl (1200 m slm ). The village itself is divided into upper, Mitter and Niederlana. Lana is the starting point of the pass road SS238 to the Gampenpass.
First prehistoric settlements can be found on the hilltops Kobaltbühel, Silackerbühel, Castle Hill Brown Mountain, Brandis and Leonburg. In the 9th century, the two churches are built St. George and St. Margaret. The first mention of Lana ( Lenon ) takes place in the year 990 at the beginning of the 13th century castles Brandis, Lanaburg ( Leonburg ), Brown Mountain, Mayen castle and Werre mountain to be built. From 1396 the parish Lana is supervised by the Teutonic Knights, whose coat of arms is still included in the coat of arms of Lana. In 1850, the previously independent places Vill Oberlana Niederlana and the greater community Lana are together.
Coat of arms
Description: is the symbol of the Teutonic Knights, a black cross and resting the symbol of Count von Brandis, the red lion on the coat of arms.
Local attractions include, among others, the parish church of the Assumption in Niederlana. Special showpiece of this late-Gothic church is the two-piece wing altar of the originating probably from Füssen painter and sculptor Hans Schnatterpeck. The altar, in 1503 commissioned by the Meran Kirchenpröpsten in order is, with a height of 14.5 m, the largest in Tyrol and one of the largest in Europe. To mark the anniversary 500 years Hans- Schnatterpeck Altar ( 1508-2008 ) issued two commemorative stamps of this gothic altar.
- Castles: Brandis, Leonburg, Brown Mountain, Castle Mayen
- Churches and chapels: St. Margaret - with frescoes from the 13th century parish church of the Assumption of Mary in 1492 with a Gothic winged altar (1503 ), Parish Church of the Holy Cross with the second largest bell in South Tyrol ( 6248 kg )
- South Tyrol Museum of Fruit Growing, farming museum Foiana
- Sculptures Trail along the Gaulpromenade
Schnatterpeck altar of the parish church of the Assumption Niederlanener
Church of St. John of Nepomuk in Oberlana
Parish Church of the Holy Cross
Castle Brown Mountain
Stand hunting Larchgut ( South Tyrol Museum of Fruit Growing )
- Culture Days Lana
- Blossom Festival
- Annual art exhibitions in the raised hide Rose Garden
- Chestnut Days » Köschtnriggl "
- Passion Play
- Concerts with music bands
- Children summer in July and August
- South Tyrolean Gartenlust
- Long Thursdays in July and August
- Pumpkin days
- Lana Advent
- Migrant Camp
- Lanaphil in April and October
- Open Air Gaul
Is economically very important addition to crafts, trade and industry ( at 10% of the South Tyrolean total harvest and 1% of the total harvest of Europe ( organic apple ). Transportation of exported apples was until 1974 on the local railway Lana Meran, which place the especially the apple orchards joined the European rail network. same railway also led to 1950 Chauffeurs through to Merano. a locomotive of the apple train is on display at the Tribusplatz, with a brief historical essay on the web.
For the economy, is also the industrial zone in Lana important. The zone is located near the Falschauer confluence with the Adige and is easily accessible via the expressway MeBo. Many international companies have an office in this industrial zone, including Doppelmayr, Develey Iprona and the SCA are better known as Biopack. In recent years, the image of the zone change and settle more and more local businesses there to.
- Johann Kravogl (1823-1889), inventor
- Norbert Pfretzschner (1850-1927), sculptor and writer
- Karl Zuegg (1914-2005), contractor ( fruit juice and jam producer Zuegg )
- Luis Zuegg (1876-1955), cable car pioneer
- Josef Ohrwalder (1856-1913), missionary
- Franz Höfler (1933-1961), South Tyrol activist
- Armin Zöggeler (* 1974), luger and Olympic champion