Alassio ( in Ligurian: Aràsce ) is a town with 10,947 inhabitants (as of 31 December 2012) in Liguria with an area of 17 km ².
- 2.1 toponym
- 4.1 sacral
- 4.2 Military Architecture
- 4.3 The " low wall of Alassio "
- 4.4 Excavation Site
- 5.1 Museums
- 5.2 Kitchen
Location and data
Alassio is located on the Riviera di Ponente between Capo Mele and Capo Santa Croce and is known as a tourist destination. Popular with visitors is mainly the small fishing port Luca Ferrari.
From the regional capital is Genoa Alassio is about 95 kilometers away. The neighboring municipalities are Albenga Andora, Laigueglia and Villanova d'Albenga. Alassio is one of the few places in this part of the coast with natural sand beach. He is about 3 km long, gently sloping and partly only 10 m wide.
The territory belonged to 1 January 2009 Comunità Montana Ingauna, but was subsequently not included in the new Comunità Montana Savona 2.
During the period 1961-1990 the lowest monthly mean temperature was recorded in January with 9.7 ° C and the highest average in July 24.9 ° C.
The annual mean precipitation amounts to 650-700 mm. Statistically, there are 58 rainy days per year, concentrated in the autumn.
The establishment of Alassio seems to go back to the 10th century, when near the small church of Sant'Anna ai Monti settled several families. With the establishment of other families in the area of present-day village of Madonna delle Grazie the quarter Castè, where you can still visit one of the oldest arms of the city today was born.
In the 11th century the city was as a fief of the Benedictine Order, which was located on the island Gallinara, later to be subordinated to the 16th century, the sovereignty of the town of Albenga.
1521, the first city wall was drawn around the core of Alassio to protect against recurring pirate raids. With the entry into the Republic of Genoa, the city took in 1528 with 18 galleons in the war against France in part and got awarded by the city-state far-reaching autonomy, especially in the economic sector.
In 1540, the city became the seat of the local Podestà. The Genoese Republic reinforced during which the trade with France, Spain, Portugal, Sicily, Sardinia and the Netherlands Alassio and made this become an important trading center in northern Italy. Like the other coastal towns of Liguria Alassio focused its economy on the mining and trading of precious corals. 1571 took part in the community with a whole fleet at the Battle of Lepanto.
In 1625 it came into the possession of the Savoy, but was soon recaptured it from the Republic of Genoa. During the Italian campaign in 1797 Napoleon Bonaparte was Alassio occupy and integrate after the fall of Genoa in the Ligurian territory of the new republic. In 1815, the city along with the other municipalities of the PRC in the Kingdom of Sardinia and 1861 in the Kingdom of Italy over.
Towards the end of the 19th century was Alassio, like the other coastal towns on the Italian Riviera, a popular tourist center. The vast number of mainly English visitor, including the Hanbury family who had to create the botanical gardens in Ventimiglia, contributed to the not inconsiderable wealth of the city.
Between the Sixties and Seventies Alassio, together with Portofino and San Remo to target the glitterati. In these years, on the initiative of local painter Mario Berrino was the " low wall of Alassio ".
According to legend, comes the toponym Alassio by the daughter of the Emperor Otto I, Adelasia, from. This should be escaped with a stable boy names Aleramo from the father's court in order to settle on the hill Alaxia, today Alassio. They founded the family of Aleramiden. Accordingly, in the city arms a tower with Adelasia is shown.
Indeed speak sources from the 13th and 14th centuries already a Albertus d' Alascio and an area called Alaxio. It is therefore also possible that the name of Alassio back to these notables, or that this Albertus came from a place Alascio, which was later renamed in Alassio.
- Santuario di Nostra Signora della Guardia - the church was built in the 12th century on Mount Tirasso and partially rebuilt in the 16th and 17th centuries
- Chiesa di Sant'Ambrogio
- Chiesa di Sant'Anna ai Monti
- Chiesa di Santa Maria Immacolata
- Chiesa di Santa Maria degli Angeli - seat of an institution of the Salesian order
- Chiesa della Carita
- Chiesa di Santa Croce
- Chiesa di San Vincenzo Ferreri
- Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista
- Chiesa di Sant'Anna
- Chiesa della Madonna della Neve
- Chiesa della Santissima Annunziata
- Chiesa di San Sebastiano
- Chiesa della Madonna di Loreto
- Chiesa della Madonna del Popolo
- Chiesa della Madonna delle Grazie
- Chiesa di San Bartolomeo
- Convento di Sant'Andrea
- Oratorio di Santa Caterina d' Alessandria
- Oratorio di Sant 'Erasmo
- Oratorio della Madonna del Vento
- Cappella di San Rocco
- Cappella Caduti del mare
In the urban area there are two ancient observation towers, one of which Torrione Saraceno or Torrione della Coscia is the most famous. It was built in the time of the Genoese Republic in the 16th century in the district of the neighborhood Coscia and served mainly to protect against the recurring pirate raids.
More ancient origin of the Torre di Vegliasco, who was among the possessions of Aleramo del Monferrato. He is depicted on the coat of arms and is of conical outline. The spire is staffed with military bays.
The " low wall of Alassio "
The " low wall " (Italian: muretto ) is both tourists as well as for those interested in art, a popular city monument. By the end of the Second World War she put only a small enclosure wall around the city park Alassio dar. During the economic boom of the sixties and seventies, however, the citizens of the city began the wall with irregular shaped tiles to embellish.
The first tile was installed in 1951 by the writer Ernest Hemingway, as he stayed in the city. More painted tiles for example, were donated by the Quartetto Cetra and by Cosimo Di Ceglie. The custom is still alive, and now adorn many signatures (about 500) of celebrities, the " low wall of Alassio ".
Restoration work at the church of Sant'Anna ai Monti various archaeological finds were made in the seventies. These are concentrated along an ancient Roman road that connects Alassio Albenga with. According to local historians, the artefacts and buildings ruins of the first settlement in the area from the 9th century could come.
Culture and Education
Alassio is the seat of state vocational school for hotel and catering industry Francesco Maria Giancardi.
- Museo di naturali scienze " San Giovanni Bosco " - the natural history museum located in the Institute of the Salesian order in the Chiesa di Santa Maria degli Angeli
- West Gallery - an exhibition devoted to the painter Richard Whately West
- Pinacoteca " Carlo Levi " - an art gallery dedicated to the painter and writer Carlo Levi
- Biblioteca Civica " Renzo Deaglio "
In addition to the courts of Ligurian cuisine Alassio is known for some culinary specialties:
- Ventre di tonno - a system based on tuna stomach court
- Baci - a chocolate praline
- Biscetta - a kind of Berlin with fennel seeds
- Risiny - a calorie pudding
The economy of Alassio is clearly based on the overnight tourism, which is very pronounced, especially in the summer months. In winter, the city is a popular destination for tourists mainly from Northern Europe.
The small fishing harbor Luca Ferrari won 2007 Blue Flag for the outstanding quality of its service offering.
Alassio is located on the county road 1, the Via Aurelia. At the A10 motorway, the city is also served by shuttle from Albenga. Alassio has a railway station on the Genoa- Ventimiglia, in the section between Ventimiglia and Savona.
View of Alassio towards Laigueglia
Beach of Alassio
View from the bridge
Sunrise over the sea off Alassio (front left the island Gallinara )