19.908305 - 99.145814Koordinaten: 19 ° 54 'N, 99 ° 9' W
Tequixquiac is a municipality in the Mexican state of México. It belongs to the Zona Metropolitana del Valle de México, the metropolitan region around Mexico City. Headquartered in Santiago Tequixquiac. The municipality had in the year 2010 33.907 inhabitants, its surface area is 122.9 km ².
- 5.1 Architecture
The name comes from the Nahuatl Tequixquiac: tequixquitl means " saltpetre " atl meaning "water " and -c means "place, location " Tequixquiac So something like " place of nitrous water".
Tequixquiac located in the north of the State of Mexico, 84 kilometers north of Mexico City. Tequixquiac as orographic zone is located in the transition of the Valley of Mexico to the Valley of Mezquital. The municipality is bordered to the north and west by Apaxco, to the south Zumpango, Huehuetoca to the southwest, and to the east by Hueypoxtla Atotonilco de Tula and in the state of Hidalgo.
The maximum height of Municipalities of 2,820 meters above sea level. Santiago Tequixquac is on average 2,340 meters. The terrain consists of low rolling hills and small streams. The municipality is crossed by two channels which summarize the rivers Río Grande and Xothe and empty into the Salado.
Inside the Municipalities there are four artificial lakes:
- Dam of Dolores, which stores the waters of the channels,
- Dam of Bermejo, which receives the rainfall from the surrounding hills,
- Dam Salto is located in the city Tlapanaloya and
- Xocoyol dam in the gorge of Apaxco.
The area has 28 intermittent, so sometimes dry falling streams, nine deep wells and eleven pumps to natural sources.
The area was, as archeological findings, already 35,000 years ago colonized by immigrants who had come over the Bering Strait from Asia. One of the most important finds is called Hueso de Sacro Tequixquiac ( sacrum of Tequixquiac ), which was carved 22,000 years ago. The first settlers were of Tequixquiac ( Aztecs and Otomi ), who settled in this place with many rivers and springs and operated mainly agriculture and livestock. Tequixquiac comes from a detectable since the 2nd century Chichimec settlement and was raised on 2 March 1552 as a separate parish.
The St. James Apostle Church was built in several phases. In each of the four corners of the vestibule there are wells, and is in the middle of an open space with Solomonic columns. The facade has two doors, the stone enclosure was decorated with indigenous symbolism. The temple and the city are dedicated to the Apostle James. During a drought, a sculpture of the Señor de la Capilla was brought (Our Lord of the band) from Apaxco after Tequixquiac. Since then she has remained in the city, and there were many miracles attributed to her. The parish was built in 1856.
During the porfiriato drainage tunnels were built for the Valley of Mexico, to remedy the severe flooding that occurred there since time immemorial. They were built by engineer Francisco Garay under the direction of Miguel Iglesias. On February 4, 1870 it was held under the supervision of the engineer Tito Rosas in the excavation of Tequixquiac in twelve feet of water the sacrum. The tunnel project was completed on March 17, 1900 and inaugurated by Porfirio Diaz.
Since the middle of the 20th century spread to Tequixquiac an unplanned urbanization from. The reason for this was land speculation the government authorities of the State of Mexico, the ex - governor Arturo Montiel Rojas had initiated about the company Wilk SA.
On July 5, 2009 for the first time a woman won the mayoral elections of Tequixquiac: Xochitl Ramírez Ramírez took up her post on 1 October 2009.
Tequixquiac counted 33,907 inhabitants in 2010.
The St. James Apostle Church was built in several stages. The atrium was a large room enclosed in stone with a cross on top, but with Christian and indigenous symbols on the walls. In each of the four corners there are wells, and is in the middle of an open space with Solomonic columns. The facade consists of two doors that contains intricately in stone, the indigenous symbolism are also decorated. The church and the city are dedicated to the Apostle James.
Alexander von Humboldt visited and explored 1804, the Pueblos of the natives, and Porfirio Díaz inaugurated in 1900 a channel in this area a.