1970 Formula One season
1971 season >
The Formula 1 1970 season was the 21st FIA Formula 1 World Championship. She was discharged through 13 races in the period from March 7, 1970 to October 25, 1970.
Jochen Rindt won for the first and only time the drivers' world championship. He died during practice for the Italian Grand Prix at Monza on September 5, 1970 and is the only world champion of Formula 1, this title was awarded posthumously, as his points lead was no longer obtained. Lotus - Ford was the fourth time Constructors' world champions.
The World Championship races
GP South Africa - Kyalami (7 March )
Spanish GP - Jarama (19 April )
In the first round there is a serious fire accident between Jacky Ickx and Jackie Oliver. Both drivers, however, remain apart from minor burns, unharmed.
Only five riders get into the points.
GP Monaco - Monte Carlo ( May 10)
Belgian GP - Spa -Francorchamps (June 7 )
The Belgian Grand Prix at Spa- Francorchamps is the last GP of Formula 1 history, which took place on a high-speed route without run-off areas.
GP Netherlands - Zandvoort ( June 21)
In the 22nd round of Piers Courage comes after a major fire accident.
French Grand Prix - Circuit de Charade (July 5 )
GP Great Britain - Brands Hatch (18 July )
GP Germany - Hockenheimring (August 2 )
For the first time a Formula 1 race held at the Hockenheimring. The drivers union GPDA had previously decided on the basis of serious accidents in the past to boycott the Nürburgring, as the organizer was the desire of the driver has not complied with the construction of more barriers.
GP Austria - Austria Ring (August 16 )
For the first time a Formula 1 race held on a year earlier inaugurated Austria ring.
Rolf Stommelen goes to the first and only time in his Formula 1 career podium.
Italian GP - Monza (September 6 )
The leader of the general standings, Jochen Rindt, comes in a training accident at the Italian Grand Prix on September 5 killed.
GP Canada - Mont -Tremblant (20 September )
The in the championship before worse placed Ickx wins ahead of his teammate Regazzoni and can still be world champion by two more victories.
GP USA - Watkins Glen (October 4 )
Ickx 's Fastest training, falls in the race but by defect a round back, so the accident in Italy Jochen Rindt is declared the posthumous World Champion. Emerson Fittipaldi won his first Formula 1 race, Lotus is thus by six wins prematurely Constructors World Champion.
GP Mexico - Mexico City (October 25 )
After a collision with a dog in the 15th round Jackie Stewart has to give up his race on lap 33.
The first six places were 9, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 points. The best six results of the first seven and the best five of the remaining six races counted for the championship.
News in brief Formula 1
- Bruce McLaren had an accident during a test drive with a CanAm McLaren at Goodwood on June 2, 1970 fatal. In this accident the rear bumper of the vehicle is washed away due to the high contact pressure, the car bounces at 200 km / h against a wall, Bruce McLaren is thrown out and is killed instantly
- On June 21, 1970, at the age of 28 years, Piers Courage was killed in an accident during the Grand Prix of the Netherlands in Zandvoort. His de Tomaso Ford catches fire after an accident. He can no longer be freed in time from the vehicle and burns.
- The Grand Prix of Germany takes first place in Hockenheim - the Nürburgring is rebuilt.
- On September 5, 1970, half an hour occurred after the start of training on the track in Monza, a serious accident by Jochen Rindt. It runs at full speed towards the Parabolica. Still on the line pulls the Lotus suddenly with 30 degree sharp left, collides with the flat snout under the guardrail, rotates with the loss of the whole Vorderbaues repeatedly bounces a second time on the planks and eventually remains in forward direction in the sand. For Jochen Rindt, who suffers a trachea crack and any help comes too late. He dies still on the transport to the hospital in Milan to his injuries.
- Emerson Fittipaldi wins the age of 23 his first Formula 1 race at the U.S. Grand Prix at Watkins Glen.
- Jackie Stewart has to give up after a collision with a dog at the Grand Prix of Mexico.