2011 GP2 Series season
The GP2 Series 2011 season was the seventh season of the GP2 series. It started on May 7, 2011 at the Istanbul Park Circuit and ended on 11 September 2011 at the Autodromo Nazionale Monza. The champion of the driver Romain Grosjean won prematurely. The Barwa Addax team decided the team title.
In addition, will take place on 12 and 13 November 2011, a GP2 event, the GP2 Final in 2011, held that not part of the championship.
- 2.1 Changes to the drivers
- 2.2 Amendments to the teams
- 2.3 Changes during the season
- 4.1 Points system
- 4.2 Drivers' Championship
- 4.3 Evaluation team
For the 2011 season the old Dallara chassis GP2/08 was that had been used from 2008 to 2010 in the GP2 series, replaced by the new Dallara chassis GP2/11. Also, the previous tire supplier Bridgestone has been replaced by Pirelli. For the first time, the identical tire compounds were used as in Formula 1 in the GP2 series.
Teams and Drivers
Changes in drivers
The following list contains all the drivers who took part in the GP2 Series 2010 season and did not start in the 2011 season for the same team as in 2010.
Drivers who have changed their team:
- Sam Bird: ART Grand Prix → iSport International
- Johnny Cecotto Jr.: Trident Racing → Ocean Racing Technology
- Max Chilton: Ocean Racing Technology → Carlin
- Marcus Ericsson: Supernova Racing → iSport International
- Rodolfo González: Arden International → Trident Racing
- Brendon Hartley: Scuderia Coloni → Ocean Racing Technology
- Michael Herck: David Price Racing Scuderia Coloni →
- Josef Král: Super Nova Racing → Arden International
- Fabio Leimer: Ocean Racing Technology → Rapax
- Álvaro Parente: Scuderia Coloni Racing Engineering →
- Charles Pic: Arden International Barwa Addax Team →
- Luiz Razia: Rapax Team → Team AirAsia
- Oliver Turvey: iSport International → Carlin
- Davide Valsecchi: iSport International → Team AirAsia
Drivers who enter or return to the GP2 series:
- Mikhail Aleshin: World Series by Renault (Carlin ) → Carlin
- Adam Carroll: IndyCar Series ( Andretti Autosport) → Super Nova Racing
- Kevin Ceccon: European F3 Open ( RP Motorsport) → Scuderia Coloni
- Stefano Coletti: World Series by Renault ( Comtec Racing) → Trident Racing
- Fairuz Fauzy: Formula 1 test driver ( Lotus ) → Super Nova Racing
- Esteban Gutiérrez: GP3 Series ( ART Grand Prix) → Lotus ART
- Julian Leal: World Series by Renault (International Draco Racing) → Rapax
- Kevin Mirocha: North European Formula Renault (SL Formula Racing ) → Ocean Racing Technology
- Jolyon Palmer: FIA Formula 2 Championship → Arden International
- Stéphane Richelmi: Italian Formula 3 Championship ( Lucidi Motors) → Trident Racing
- Davide Rigon: Superleague Formula ( Azerti Motorsport) → Scuderia Coloni
- Pål Varhaug: GP3 Series ( Jenzer Motorsport) → DAMS
Drivers who have left the GP2 series:
- Vladimir Arabadzhiev: Scuderia Coloni → out
- Fabrizio Crestani: David Price Racing → Auto GP (Team Lazarus )
- Jérôme D' Ambrosio: DAMS → Formula 1 (Virgin )
- James Jakes: Scuderia Coloni → IndyCar Series (Dale Coyne Racing)
- Federico Leo: Trident Racing → FIA GT3 European Championship (AF Corse)
- Pastor Maldonado: Rapax Team → Formula 1 ( Williams)
- Sergio Pérez: Barwa Addax Team → Formula 1 ( Clean )
- Edoardo Piscopo: Trident Racing → Blancpain Endurance Series ( Lotus Italia Scuderia Giudici )
- Giacomo Ricci: David Price Racing → out
- Ho -Pin Tung: DAMS → IndyCar Series (Dragon Racing)
- Alberto Valerio: Scuderia Coloni → Stock Car Brasil ( Amir Nasr Racing)
- Adrian Zaugg: Trident Racing → Auto GP ( Supernova )
Changes the teams
DPR will no longer go into the 2011 season at the start. For this will be at the start with team Carlin and AirAsia, two new teams. ART Grand Prix is supported in this season of Lotus Cars and appears under the name " Lotus ART " on. Since the team is owned by the AirAsia Team Principal of Lotus Racing, there is the curious situation that Lotus Cars and Lotus Racing will compete against each other.
Changes during the season
- Davide Rigon retired at the season opener in Istanbul multiple fractures of the left tibia and fibula to. At four race weekends, he was represented by Kevin Ceccon. Ceccon was characterized by an age of 17 years and 243 days for the youngest ever GP2 pilot. Then took Luca Filippi its cockpit. Filippi drove previously for Super Nova Racing, where he was replaced by Adam Carroll.
- Christian Vietoris was represented by an accident in Istanbul for the race weekends in Barcelona and Monte Carlo by Álvaro Parente. Vietoris suffered from severe headaches, necessitating a break. Despite the headaches, he participated in a DTM race between the GP2 race weekends of Istanbul and Barcelona.
- Mikhail Aleshin, who had budget problems before the season, was after two race weekends replaced by Oliver Turvey. Turvey was again after a race weekend by Álvaro Parente, who had previously run for Racing Engineering, detached. For the seventh race weekend Aleshin took over for two race weekends again the place at Carlin. For the season finale Parente got the cockpit one more time.
- The Team AirAsia called around for the third race weekend at Caterham Team AirAsia.
- Kevin Mirocha was replaced after the seventh race weekend by Brendon Hartley at Ocean Racing Technology.
- Stefano Coletti was injured so badly that he was replaced for the season finale by Stéphane Richelmi in an accident at Spa-Francorchamps. Coletti retired to two vertebral fractures.
The race calendar of the GP2 Series 2011 season was released on December 21, 2010. A total of nine race weekends will be held, which will take place in the context of the Formula 1. In contrast to 2010, the weekend does not belong as part of the Formula 1 season finale in Abu Dhabi Championship.
In the main race (HAU ) were the first eight of the race, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 point (s). During the sprint race (SPR ), the first six of the race were 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 point (s). In addition, the winner of qualifying, who started from pole position in the feature race, two points received. The driver, who scored the fastest lap of the first ten classified riders, also received a point.
- Fat - Pole Position
- Italics - Fastest lap