BMW Z4 (E89)
BMW Z4 (2009-2013 )
The BMW Z4 ( E89 ) is a roadster of German car manufacturer BMW. He is the second generation of the BMW Z4 and thus the development of the BMW E85. The model was presented on 13 December 2008 and was at the NAIAS 2009 for the first time to the public. Launch was the world's 9. May 2009. The E89 underwent a facelift in March 2013.
Since the new Z4 now has a folding hardtop, it replaces the previous roadster and coupé versions. The two-piece, electro-hydraulic retractable hardtop in lightweight aluminum shell can be opened or closed automatically in 20 seconds. With the roof open, the boot capacity is 180 liters ( closed: 310 l ).
Also comes with the top model, the new 7- speed dual- clutch transmission is used. In 23i and 30i a six-speed Sport automatic transmission with Steptronic is offered. A standard 6 -speed manual gearbox is fitted.
The Z4 is now fitted as standard with Dynamic Drive Control. Via keystroke can be adapted to the characteristics of the fuel feed, switching behavior in automatic variants, Power Steering and DSC vote in three levels ( Normal, Sport, Sport ). With the optional adaptive M suspension, the damper characteristic is controlled.
In an E89 Electric parking brake is used by BMW.
BMW Z4 sDrive35is with M-Sport Package
Differences to its predecessor
The E89 as its predecessor in the U.S. BMW Manufacturing Company plant in Greer ( Spartanburg County) is not established, but the BMW plant in Regensburg. He is the first BMW Roadster that uses the iDrive system.
Unlike its predecessor, it is 148 mm longer, wider and 9 mm 8 mm lower. The track width has increased by 47 mm. The weight has increased by 95 kg of which 30 kg can be caused by the new roof concept, since the roof shells are made of aluminum. The remaining weight increase was due to the increased size, a stiffer chassis and a modified standard equipment (eg, 17 "wheels, bi-xenon headlights, etc.).
All BMW Z4 have as standard the following safety equipment: Beside ABS including brake assist and Cornering Brake Control are belt tensioners and belt force limiters, as well as an ESP with traction control available. In addition, four airbags ( Fahrer-/Beifahrer and two side airbags). The Dynamic brake light indicates how much the vehicle is braked. During emergency braking, the brake light is flashing controlled and switched on the hazard warning lights flashing just before the vehicle is stationary. For protection in a rollover two fixed rollover bars are installed behind the headrests.
On 13 July 2012, the Federal Motor Transport Authority published a call back to the models of the 1 Series and 3 - Series and X1 SUV and Z-4 sports car. Affected are the model years 2007-2012 This is due to an error in the control electronics of the electromechanical power steering. ( Electro-pneumatic circuit; EPS) and leads to failure of the power steering.
On October 1, 2013 BMW has recalled about 176,000 vehicles of the models of the 1 Series, 3 Series and 5- Series, X1 and X3 SUV and Z-4 sports cars worldwide, including 6,000 vehicles in Germany. Affected vehicles built in 2012 and 2013. This is due to problems on the camshaft four-cylinder petrol engines, which can become a possible disruption of oil supply to the vacuum pump to the failure, and thus to the loss of brake power assistance.
- In the fall of 2011, the two six - cylinder models sDrive23i and sDrive30i were of two new four - cylinder models with twin-scroll turbocharger replaced ( sDrive20i and sDrive28i ).
- As of March 2012, the roof hydraulics has been strengthened, enabling the roof during a cruising speed of up to 40 km / h to open and close.
A big upgrade
- In March 2013, the Z4 was slightly modified headlights, which now occupy an LED ribbon, and redesigned tail lights and side lights changed the turn signals. Meanwhile, the engine range for the sDrive18i is extended downward.
- Added also are two additional equipment packages " Design Pure Balance " and "Design Pure Traction" which can each be combined with the M- Sport package. The theme and color-coordinated interior packages each include new trim and seat covers. In addition, the enclosure of the "Control Panels " was replaced by a higher-quality material and feel and audible feedback of a few buttons and switches upgraded the quality.
- Besides the option to order the hardtop in contrasting color to the body ( black or silver) BMW offers since March 2013, the painting "Valencia Orange Metallic " for the Z4.
All engines are equipped with double - Vanos and reach the EU5 emission standard. sDrive23i and sDrive30i in addition have Valvetronic. The sDrive35i has two turbochargers ( Twin Turbo) and is on the spray-guided direct injection ( High Precision Injection ) is inverted. The sDrive20i and sDrive28i engines feature a combination of Valvetronic, spray-guided direct injection and turbocharging. The Z4 has EfficientDynamics.
Values in [ ] apply to vehicles with automatic transmission. 1 overboost function
For Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d' Este 2012 BMW presented the on the Z4 Coupé Zagato builds BMW, which is intended to represent a Vmax Concept, according to Andrea Zagato, so a street-legal but technically optimized vehicle. The vehicle had a slightly lowered body and better equipment than the base.
- International Design Excellence Award ( IDEA) in 2009 by the Industrial Designers Society of America ( IDSA )
- Winner of " The sportiest cars of 2009" magazine " sport auto " in the category convertibles to 40,000 euros ( z4 sDrive23i )
- Eyes on Design Award at the North American International Auto Show ( NAIAS ) 2009
- Red dot design award 2009
- Internet Auto Award 2009 in the category " Convertibles "
In November 2008, put the South African street artist Robin Rhode tires on the BMW Z4 instead of a brush and let the Roadster shapes in bright colors of paint on a canvas. Jake Scott was the director. A total of 190 liters of special paint over 4 per nozzle per Z4 were sprayed directly onto the vehicle tires. The spray nozzles could be controlled by Robin Rhode via a remote control. This campaign called "An Expression of Joy" was used for the introduction of the new BMW Z4 Roadster worldwide.
Racing: Z4 GT3
Since 2010, BMW offers Motorsport for customer sport at a price of 349,000 Euro (plus VAT) a racing variant constructed according to FIA GT3 regulations ( not road legal ) for the BMW E89 on, with an enlarged 4.4 -liter displacement version of the BMW S65 is used. In January 2011, Schubert Motorsport BMW Z4 GT3 won with a 24- hour race in Dubai.