George Tucker (politician)
George Tucker ( born August 20, 1775 in Bermuda, † April 10, 1861 in Sherwood, Virginia ) was an American politician. Between 1819 and 1825 he represented the state of Virginia in the U.S. House of Representatives.
George Tucker was the cousin of Congressman Henry St. George Tucker ( 1780-1848 ). About his early education nothing is handed down. Around the year 1790, he came to Virginia. Until 1797 he graduated from the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg. After a subsequent study of law and qualifying as a lawyer, he started working in Richmond in this profession. He later moved into the Pittsylvania County, where he at times acted as district attorney. At the same time he proposed as a member of the Democratic-Republican Party launched a political career. In 1815 he was elected to the House of Representatives of Virginia. Since 1818, he practiced as a lawyer in Lynchburg.
In the congressional elections of 1818 Tucker was in the 15th electoral district of Virginia in the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington DC chosen, where he became the successor of William J. Lewis on March 4, 1819. After two re- election he was able to complete in Congress until March 3, 1825 three legislative periods. Since 1823 he represented there as a successor of Alexander Smyth the sixth district of his state. Since 1821 Tucker was chairman of the Committee for the control of expenditures of the War Department.
After the end of his time in the U.S. House of Representatives Tucker was appointed by former president Thomas Jefferson as a professor of moral philosophy at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville; Jefferson was then head of this university. A post he held until 1845. Afterwards he moved to Philadelphia. George Tucker also appeared as the author of numerous non-fiction books in the fields of history, finance and economics and banking in appearance. He died on April 10, 1861 in Sherwood from the consequences of an accident in which had fallen on a ship during loading on the head him a bale of cotton.