Jaberg is a municipality in the Bern-Mittelland administrative district in the canton of Bern in Switzerland.


Jaberg is located on 540 m above sea level. M., 8 km northwest of the city of Thun (air line). The village is located in the flood plain west of the Aare and on the slopes of the southern ridge of Belpberg, opposite gravels.

The only just 1.3 km ² large, but elongated municipality covers a portion of the Aare Valley between Bern and Thun. The eastern boundary runs along the channelized and straightened Aare. From here, the communal land extends westward across a narrow flood plain and the slope of Jaberg up on the adjacent ridge that forms the southern continuation of the Belpberg. Be in Gestelen and Stöckliwald 600 m above sea On this knoll. M. achieved the highest elevations of Jaberg. From the municipality surface 1997 20 % came from settlements, 22 % of forest and woody plants and 52% to agriculture; slightly less than 6 % was unproductive land.

Jaberg consists of the settlement core front Jaberg (540 m above sea level. M. on Aareübergang ), which was expanded to include a residential district, and the hamlet Behind Jaberg (560 m above sea level. M. ) on the eastern slope of the Gestelen as well as some individual farms. Neighboring communities of Jaberg are Wichtrach, gravel, and Uttigen Kirchdorf ( BE).


With 252 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Jaberg is one of the small communities of the Canton of Bern. Of the residents 97.5 % are German, 0.9 % Italian-speaking and 0.9 % speak Portuguese (as of 2000). The population of Jaberg amounted in 1850 to 271 inhabitants, in 1900 only 162 inhabitants. During the 20th century, the population fluctuated always in the range 140-190 people. Since 1980 (159 inhabitants) a significant population increase was recorded.


Jaberg was until the second half of the 20th century, mainly coined by farming village. Even today, agriculture and dairy farming and animal husbandry an important place in the economic structure of the population. More jobs are in small local manufacturing and services available. Jaberg is a municipal solid waste landfill site and a gravel pit. Here are the largest gravel pits of the Canton of Bern. In recent decades, the village has developed into a residential community. Many workers are therefore commuters who work mainly in the larger towns in the area and in the Berne or Thun.


The community is conveniently technically quite well developed, even though it is off the major thoroughfares on a road from Mühlethurnen by gravels. Front Jaberg has a local bypass road, which was moved reasons of noise protection in one these constructions. The nearest links to the motorway A6 ( Bern- Thun) is located around 2 km from the town center. Jaberg itself has no connection to the public transport network. Easily accessible, however, the gravel train station on the railway line from Bern to Thun.


Grave mounds from the Hallstatt period point to an early settlement of the municipality. The first written mention of the village was carried out in 1259 under the name Jagberc. Later, the names Jageberc ( 1273) and Jagberg ( 1299 ) published. The place name is composed according to the tradition of Yes ( gd ) and Berg ( = castle ) and has thus the original meaning of a castle, have been made from which hunts.

In fact, it was here in the Middle Ages a small borough, which controlled the important already in early times Aareübergang on the way between the Emmental and the Schwarzenburgerland. Jaberg belonged to a part of the Lords of Blankenburg, on the other part the Lords of Krauchtal. At the Reformation the village came under Bernese rule and the district court Seftigen and the Lower Court Gelterfingen was assigned (from the 18th century Venner court mill village).

After the collapse of the Ancien Régime (1798 ) Jaberg belonged during the Helvetic Republic to the District Seftigen and from 1803 to Oberamt Seftigen, which was given the status of an office district with the new cantonal constitution of 1831. The Aarefähre in 1835 replaced by a covered wooden bridge. Until 1948, the hamlet Stoffelsrüti formed an exclave of Jaberg, after which he was assigned to the parish Noflen. Jaberg does not have its own church, it belongs to the parish church village.