The Clyno Engineering Company Ltd, founded by Frank Smith, was developed in the 1920s by a motorcycle manufacturer for automotive manufacturers and in 1926 the third largest automobile producer in the UK. Based in the Pelham Street in Wolverhampton company produced from 1922 to 1929, more than 40,000 cars here.
These were of infinitely variable belt transmission for use in industry and later also in motorcycles. The rolls were made in 1909 by cousins Frank and Ailwyn Smith in her company Clyno Engineering Company in Thrapston ( Northamptonshire ).
1910 complete bikes with Stevens- engines were built. Stevens went into voluntary liquidation in 1910 and the cousins Smith bought the factory in Pelham Street in Wolverhampton. In 1912 they spread out into the adjoining former Humber bicycle factory. In the First World War the company received many orders over motorcycle sidecars with Vickers machine guns. With the growth of automobile production was given in 1923 to the motorcycle.
The first and most important car model, the one that was constructed by AG Booth 10.8, had a side-valve four-cylinder engine with 1368 cc Coventry Climax with carburetor Cox Atmos and manual three-speed transmission. Initially, there was no differential, which was soon upgraded. From 1926 the car had standard four-wheel brakes. The vehicles were known for their reliability and efficiency. It originated about 35,000 specimens, including some sports versions and luxurious Royal models.
A slightly larger model, the 13 (later 12/28 ), but which still had the same wheelbase of 2667 mm, was introduced in 1924. He had an engine manufactured in-house with 69 mm bore (3 mm more than the 10.8) and the same stroke of 100 mm. This resulted in a displacement of 1496 cc. Approx. 8000 pieces originated.
A new factory in Bushbury, a suburb of Wolverhampton, in 1927 came about, and with it two new models. The 12/35 had a 69.5 mm reamed engine ( 1593 cc ), presumably to accommodate the higher weight of larger bodies, although most structures were probably made of synthetic leather.
The last car was the little 9 with leatherette body and 951 cc engine. The Century version ( later nicknamed " Cemetery ", dt: cemetery, provided ) was an attempt to produce a car for only £ 100, but suffered from the quality and the global economic crisis had sales collapse, especially since the serious competition Austin 7 and the Morris Minor was.
The company made another rescue attempt and built the prototype of a series of eight-cylinder engine, but never got to the production stage.
The main dealers were brothers Rootes, who eventually tried to buy the company. From 1928 onwards, but they decided to focus on Hillman, which led to the downfall of Clyno.
1929 had to file for bankruptcy Clyno and the remains were bought by the resident company in Birmingham RH Collier.