A.J.S. (AJ Stevens & Co Ltd. ), Named after Albert John Stevens, one of the most famous British manufacturer of motorcycle history. 1909 founded the Albert John, Harry, George and Joe Stevens brothers in the Retreat Street, Wolverhampton, the company that produced for 20 years high-quality sports and touring bikes.
In the Tourist Trophy on the Isle of Man 1921 Eric Williams won the junior race with a 350cc AJS, which reached 120 km / h top speed. In addition, the courts two, three, four, six and eight were occupied by AJS drivers.
In the 1930's A.J.S. developed the UK's second largest motorcycle producer. In the postwar period was the A.J.S. " Porcupine " two-cylinder engine, inter alia, by Jock West and its racing successes famous. The " Boy Racer" was one of the most successful racing models in history.
1931 came A.J.S. in financial difficulties. Harry and Charlie Collier Collier bought A.J.S. on. The entire plant was moved to Plumstead, we would just build the AJS Motorcycles along with Matchless machines. The name A.J.S. remained as a brand. The Stevens brothers founded a new company in Wolverhampton under the name of Stevens Brothers ( Wolverhampton) Ltd..
In 1965, the work is a recent racing activities. 1966 Matchless went and A.J.S. on the Manganese Bronze Group, 1968, the plant was finally shut down.
1974 acquired the former NVT engineer Fluff Brown the naming rights to AJS and continued to produce the AJS Motocross motorcycles " Stormer ".
Since the opening of a factory in China, he produced there, the AJS CR3, a 125 cc street bike, as well as the softchopper the Regal -Raptor series.
- A.J.S. 7R " Boy Racer": 348 cc single-cylinder with 45 PS
- A.J.S. E95 " Porcupine ": 498 cc DOHC parallel twin engine with 55 hp at 7600/min
- A.J.S. 35/2 1000 cm ³
- A.J.S. Double - T Racer: 247 cc single-cylinder two -stroke engine with about 32 horsepower
World Motorcycle Championship
- World champion in the 500 cc class: 1949
In the motorcycle manufacturers reach the European Championship five drivers' titles.
- European champion in the 350 cc class: 1924, 1927
- European champion in the 500 cc class: 1926
- European champion in the 350 cc class: 1926
- European champion in the 350 cc class: 1929
Between 1930 and 1933 automobiles were offered. The model 9 HP had a four-cylinder engine with 1018 cc capacity, which made 24 hp. There was the four-door sedan body styles, two-door and Torpedo Roadster. Two vehicles of the same brand can be seen in the Black Country Living Museum in Dudley.