Hamilton G. Ewart
Ewart moved in 1862 with his parents in Hendersonville, North Carolina. He studied at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, was admitted to the legal profession in 1870 and practiced in Hendersonville. In 1876 he was a delegate to the Republican National Convention in Cincinnati. A year later, Ewart was elected mayor of Hendersonville. From 1887 to 1889, from 1895 to 1897 and from 1911 to 1913 he was a member of the House of Representatives from North Carolina.
Ewart was elected as a Republican to Congress and represented there from March 4, 1889 until March 3, 1891 the state of North Carolina in the U.S. House of Representatives. 1890 and 1904, he ran unsuccessfully for a seat in each U.S. House of Representatives. After retiring from Congress, he again began to practice in Hendersonville. In 1895, Ewart judge at the Criminal Court and 1897 Judge at the Court of Appeal. From July 16 1898 to March 4, 1899 and April 14, 1899 to June 7, 1900, he was a federal judge on the United States District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, where he followed the late Robert P. Dick. 1916 Ewart moved to Chicago and began practicing there. In this city he died in 1918 and was buried at the Oakdale Cemetery in Hendersonville.