Edwin Y. Webb
Edwin Yates Webb ( * May 23, 1872 in Shelby, Cleveland County, North Carolina; † February 7, 1955 in Wilmington, North Carolina) was an American lawyer and politician. Between 1903 and 1919 he represented the state of North Carolina in the U.S. House of Representatives; later he became a federal judge.
Edwin Webb visited the Shelby Military Institute and then to 1893 the Wake Forest College. After a subsequent law studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and his 1894 was admitted to the bar he began in Shelby to work in this profession. He then continued his legal education to 1896 continued at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. At the same time he proposed as a member of the Democratic Party launched a political career. In 1901, Webb was elected to the Senate from North Carolina. He was also curator of the Wake Forest College and the Agricultural and Mechanical College in Raleigh. Between 1898 and 1902 he served as district chairman of the Democrats. In 1900, he was temporarily Chairman of the regional party conference in North Carolina.
In the congressional elections of 1902, Webb was in the ninth constituency of North Carolina in the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington DC chosen, where he succeeded the meantime deceased James M. Moody on March 4, 1903. After eight elections he could remain until his resignation on 10 November 1919 at the Congress. This period was, among other things, the First World War. In 1913 were the 16th and the 17th Amendment to the Constitution ratified. In 1912, Webb was one of the congressmen who were in charge of the impeachment proceedings against the Federal Judge Robert Wodrow Archbald.
Edwin Webb resigned his parliamentary seat on 10 November 1919 after he was appointed by President Woodrow Wilson on the Federal Judge at United States District Court for the Western part of the state of North Carolina. This office he held until his retirement on 1 March 1948. He died on February 7, 1955 during a visit to Wilmington and was buried in Shelby.