Villaviciosa, Asturias

Villaviciosa ( Miliayo / Villaviciosa in Asturian ) is a Concejo the comarca of Gijón the autonomous community of Asturias in Spain.


The coat of arms

The community leads the coat of arms of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation under Charles I.

Until the Middle Ages

First colonizations were detected by finds from the Epipalaeolithic. The ongoing colonization is confirmed by Megalithfunde, hill forts and dolmens in the Ria and some valleys around today Villaviciosa. In the Kingdom of Asturias places Amandi, Camoca, Fuentes and Bedriñana were established and placed under the church.

And after

In the 12th century Villaviciosa Oviedo was assumed. Starting with the reorganization of the administration under Alfonso IX. 1270 was the first time confirmed Alfonso X the community within its borders. The monastery " Monasterio de Santa María de Valdediós " in neighboring Parroquia Puelles the jurisdiction was transferred. Among the Catholic Monarchs a pilgrim hostel ( hospice ) was for pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago ( the Camino de la Costa ) to Santiago de Compostela built. During the Napoleonic Wars in the Iberian Peninsula, the Parroquia and transmitted marshland for Spanish as Napoleon's troops was.


That were recorded in Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous geological structures are to understand clearly the cliffs and the mountain ranges today. The old building materials, mainly sandstone and limestone, this also reflect resist.


The oldest branch of industry in the region is certainly the livestock industry here has specifically milk production and processing at the present time a large market share. Under Charles V, the fishing port Tazones was placed under the church today, fishing is an important industry. The community is known is also manufactured for your Sidra which in many smaller but also industrial operations today.


The 17 seats of the council are distributed as follows:


  • San Salvador de Valdediós
  • San Salvador de Priesca, church from the 10th century
  • Church of San Andrés in Bedriñana, foundation stone was laid in the 9th century
  • Church of Santa María de la Oliva of 1270



  • Amandi
  • Ambás
  • Argüero
  • Arnín
  • Arroes
  • Bedriñana
  • Breceña
  • Camoca
  • Candanal
  • Carda
  • Careñes
  • Castiello
  • Cazanes
  • Celada
  • Coro
  • El Busto
  • Fuentes
  • Grass
  • La Llera
  • La Magdalena
  • Lugás
  • Mar
  • Miravalles
  • Niévares
  • Oles
  • Peon
  • Priesca
  • Puelles
  • Quintessence
  • Quintueles
  • Rales
  • Rozadas
  • San Justo
  • Santa Eugenia
  • Selorio
  • Tazones
  • Tornón
  • Valdebárzana
  • Vallés
  • Villaverde La Marina
  • Villaviciosa

Sons and daughters

  • Juan Fernández (1536-1604), navigator and explorer
  • Hevia (born 1967 ), musician
  • Francisco de Paula Caveda y Solares (1760-1811), historian
  • Xosé Caveda y Nava (1796-1882), writer
  • José Manuel Pérez Morís (1840-1881), historian
  • Víctor García de la Concha ( b. 1934 ), Director of the Real Academia Española
  • Arturo Cortina Llosa ( b. 1936 ), Cardiologist
  • Manuel Busto Fernandez ( born 1975 ), canoeist, world champion in canoe marathon


  • Population figures, see INE
  • Zip see
  • Coordinates and altitude information see Google Earth