2011 WTA Tour
The WTA Tour 2011 is the 38th year of women's tennis tournament series, which is held annually by the Women 's Tennis Association.
The team competitions Hopman Cup and Fed Cup are like Grand Slams not organized by the WTA but the ITF. Here they are listed but because the top players play these tournaments usually.
Compared to 2010, the tournament calendar learned the following changes:
- After a two year break to find the Qatar Ladies Open (Category: Premier) again held in Doha.
- The Brussels Ladies Open ( clay court tournament of the Premier category in preparation for the French Open ) replaces the tournament in Warsaw.
- The Baku Cup (Category: International) replaces the tournament in Prague.
- The Citi Open (Category: International) in College Park replace the tournament in Portoroz.
- After twelve years of abstinence ( the Virginia Slims of Dallas, ran from 1972 to 1989 ) reverses the WTA back to Texas back: The Texas Open (hard court tournament in the category International in preparation for the U.S. Open ) will be held in Grapevine.
- The two tournaments in the category International in Ponte Vedra Beach and Istanbul will be deleted.
- The WTA Tour Championships 2014 will take place in Istanbul (2008-2010: Doha).
The string of e.g. 128E/96Q/64D/32M has the following meaning: 128E = 128 players playing in single 96Q 96 = players play the qualification 64D = 64 pairs in a double play 32M = 32 pairs playing in the Mixed
The following significant players finished their tennis career in 2011:
- Italy Tathiana Garbin - January 2011
- Belgium Justine Henin - January 26, 2011
- Mara Santangelo Italy - January 28, 2011
- France Stéphanie Cohen- Aloro - February 10, 2011
- Switzerland Patty Schnyder - May 28, 2011
- Germany Martina Müller - August 18, 2011
Balance at end of the season on November 5, 2012 ( prize money in U.S. dollars )