Vallo di Nera
The municipality extends over some 36 km ². It is located about 200 km southeast of Florence and about 60 km southeast of Perugia. The place is in Valnerina Valley and the river Nera.
The districts include Borbonea, Geppa, La Pieve, Le Campore, Meggiano, Monte Fiorello, Paterno, Piedilacosta, Piedipaterno and Roccagelli.
The first human settlements in the village date back to the year 800 BC, when the Naharci inhabited small settlements. From this period also the name Nahar, which gave its name to the present-day river Nera. From 200 BC, the Romans dominated the area. 1177 succeeded in the place under the feudal rule of the Count of Spoleto, Corrado di Hursligen. Spoleto allowed Vallo on September 8, 1217 the construction of a castle and offered protection, but called for taxes. Thus, the place fell into the sphere of influence of Spoleto. The castle was already taken but in the same century the Papal State. Between 1361 and 1490 Vallo was the most populous city in the Valnerina valley, from this period most of the ecclesiastical and civil buildings and the first neighborhood outside the city walls, as the Borgo Santa Maria (14th century) or later Borgo Casali ( 15 century). To Vallo 1522-23 took part with other communities of Valnerina in an uprising against Spoleto, this was bloodily suppressed. In 1860 the place was equipped with the community Statute and integrated into the Kingdom of Italy. 1880, the hitherto autonomous communities Meggiano and Piedipaterno been renamed the place Piedipaterno sul Nera and a year later awarded the territory of Vallo. The three kilometers away from Vallo district is home to the municipality today.
- Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista, church from the 13th century, partly restyled in the 16th century.
- Chiesa di San Rocco church from the 15th century, which is located in Borgo Casali just outside the city walls.
- Chiesa di Santa Caterina, St. Catherine of Siena Church, dedicated to the 15th century.
- Chiesa di Santa Maria, later renamed in the 13th century San Francesco church named. Contains works of Cola di Pietro and the maestro di Eggi from the 14th and 15th centuries.
- The place is a carrier of Orange Flag of the Touring Club Italiano.
- The Association of The most beautiful villages of Italy gave the settlement the title of the same name.