The municipality covers 40 km ². This makes it the municipality with the lowest population density in Umbria. The community is located about 80 km southeast of Perugia on the river Tissino in Neratal ( Valnerina ) on the mountain of Monte Carpe Nale and Monte Coscerno (1685 meters altitude). It is part of the Comunità montana Valnerina and is located in the climatic classification of Italian communities in the zone E, 2910 GR / G.
Among the districts ( Frazioni ) include Mucciafora, Roccatamburo and Usigni. Mucciafora is located at 1070 m altitude, is the highest town of Valneriatals. The district currently has about 44 inhabitants and is located about 4 km from the main village. Usigni located at altitude of 1001 meters, has about 13 inhabitants and is since 1816 part of the municipality Poggiodomo.
The village was founded in the 12th century around the castle, which was built by the Count of Spoleto. Already in 1361 no longer the place belonged to Spoleto to 1377 he was already one of Cascia. At the beginning of the 16th century, the city fell into the conflicts between Cascia, Spoleto and Leonessa, 1553 he finally fell into the Machtbereicht of Cascia. Poggiodomo 1559 and 1703 was hit by a severe earthquake. The place was a separate municipality in 1809 during the Napoleonic occupation, as the place of Cascia was disconnected. This status kept the place in the subsequent time in the Papal States. After the unification of Italy, the population of about 950 rose to over 1,350 residents in 1900, then the place experienced a decline in population that adheres currently about 150 residents.
- Chiesa di San Bartolomeo church of Romanesque origin in the district Mucciafora. The Campanile dates from the 14th century.
- Chiesa di San Carlo Borromeo, Church from the year 1635 has been. Built to replace the older church Chiesa di Sant'Antonio da Padova.
- Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista, church built in 1496th
- Chiesa di San Lorenzo church from the 13th century with frescoes, also from the 13th century. In 1566 significantly changed.
- Chiesa di San Nicola church of Romanesque origin in the district Roccatamburo.
- Chiesa di San Pancrazio church from the 17th century, which is about 1 km outside the city walls.
- Chiesa di San Pietro, church contains frescoes from the 15th and 16th centuries.
- Chiesa di San Salvadore, church in the district of Usigni, contains frescoes by an unknown artist from Cortona, about 1644 created on behalf of Cardinal Fausto Poli. The frescoes are by Salvo Castellucci Aretino, a pupil of Pietro da Cortona. The church was restored in 1927.
- Hermitage della Madonna della Stella, Hermitage, near the hamlet of Valle del Noce Roccatamburo in LocalitÃ. Originated in the 12th century as a Benedictine monastery
- Palazzo Cardinale Fausto Poli, building from the year 1600 in the district Usigni.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Fausto Poli (cardinal priest of San Crisogono 1643-1653 )