The municipality extends over some 36 km ². The municipality is situated approximately 25 km north- west of Perugia at the foot of Monte Castiglione (802 m) and the river Niccone, a tributary of the Tiber, between Lake Trasimeno and the Tiber Valley ( Tiber Valley ).
Among the districts ( Frazioni ) include Crocicchie, Gosparini, Le Crete, Le Crocicchie, Pian di Marte, Reschio, San Martino, Santa Maria delle Corti and Val di Rose.
Some of the districts have been inhabited by the Etruscans, like finds at Villa Sagraia and Bellona at Monte Murlo (818 m, near Preggio at Umbertide) show. After the Battle of Lake Trasimeno 217 BC the town was badly damaged by the troops of Hannibal. The main part of the toponym probably derives from the Roman name Lisus or Licius, the name was formed by the addition Niccone located in the district of the same river. However, the district Niccone near the mouth of the river into the Tiber Niccone belongs to the municipality Umbertide. In the period under Byzantine rule of the so-called Corridor was bizantino ( Byzantine corridor), a fortified corridor of Rome to the Exarchate of Ravenna, in order to protect themselves from the eastern to the western centers Spoleto and territories of the Lombards. Here, each castle stood pairs of, in the municipality of Lisciano Niccone these were respectively the castles of Pierle and Lisciano and Reschio and Sorbello. In 1202, the Count Del Monte Castello di Lisciano submitted the rule of Perugia, which were subject to this time the Papal State and built the city walls between the 12th and 14th centuries. After a short time under the rule of Casali di Cortona from the nearby Cortona place in 1479 returned to the Papal States in 1861 where he remained until the unification of Italy. From this point up to the fifties of the last century lived in the village average population of about 2000, followed by a population decline took place, so that now inhabited only about a third of the population at that time the place.
- Borgo di Bastia Creti, formerly called Bastia di Croce, fortified place about 8 km from the main town, which was built in 1433.
- Castello di Montalto, about 18 km from the main town situated castle. Was first documented in 1385, when Perugia extended the fortress.
- Castello di Pierle, about 3 km from the main castle ruin on Monte Maestrino in the municipality of Cortona, which belonged to the Count Del Monte since the 11th century. The castle was left in the 14th century by Bernabo Visconti the Oddi of Perugia as a fief and then purchased by the Casali from Cortona. Francesco Casali renewed the castle in 1371, which was destroyed in 1574 under the direction of Ferdinando I de ' Medici.
- Castello di Reschio, about 4 km from the main town situated castle, which was built in the 10th century and not later than the 12th century the Count Del Monte belonged. Inside is the San Michele Arcangelo Church
- Castello di Sorbello, about 5 km from the main town situated castle, which is located on the present municipality of Cortona. The construction was begun in the 10th century by the Ghibellines, the south side was completed in the 12th century, the tower was strengthened considerably in the 13th century, when the castle surrendered Perugia.
- Chiesa di San Biagio church from the 11th century in the village of Pierle, which was newly built in 1505.
- Chiesa di San Nicolò church in the district of Val di Rose, contains a work from 1515 by Eusebio di San Giorgio (* um 1465 in Perugia, † 1550 )
- Chiesa di San Tommaso, first mentioned in 1332 church
- Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Corti, church in the capital